Chapter Five

A/N- Sorry I took so long to update! So I’ve now introduced Mr Horan! Now we haven’t had a downstairs perspective yet have we?

Well. Now we do ;) Sorry if its bad.

Mr Molesly

“Two new guests in the house. We will have to stretch the dinner by two places every night now.” Daisy said a small smile on her face as she beat a mixture thoroughly glancing between the members of staff in the kitchen and the mix.

“We should be able to cope. That’ll need at least ten more minutes beating.” Mrs Patmore stated squinting at Daisy’s mixture before raising her eyebrows and turning back to some other dish she was currently working on.

It seemed as if everyone had suddenly assembled in the kitchen, with Jimmy and Thomas hanging in the back of the room waiting around and making small talk with Ivy whilst housemaids rushed up and down the stairs in the adjacent room.

Everything was getting so stressful lately for the staff, with the new guests and preparations for the debutante in a few weeks. He could certainly feel it. Being pushed harder for serving whilst dining by Mr Carson, upstairs more often than down now. But another guest was as interesting as it was vexing.

“Why? What new people in the house?” Mr Molesly questioned interestedly.

“Ask Jimmy. He’s smitten enough with that new Australian girl upstairs.”

Now that Ivy had mentioned it. Jimmy had been acting oddly since she had arrived, being more presentable, pleasant, bold and more nonchalant. Mr Molesly expected that the girl had intrigued him, half the other footman couldn’t keep their eyes off her. He noticed as soon as dinner was served the night prior, glancing at Jimmy to only be looking at the Australian like the other two younger footmen. Mr Carson had finally noticed, giving them all a warning glance which seemed to snap them out of hit. But something wasn’t right still.

Mr Molesly turned to Jimmy, who was leaning on the small table behind the large bench with Thomas playing cards. Jimmy smiled and straightened in his chair, not taking his eyes off his hand of cards.

“She’s Australian? I was wondering why her voice sounded different.” Jimmy stated learning forward and smirking at Thomas before returning his gaze to Mr Molesly. “It’s quite interesting to listen to. You know when she talks...”

Daisy interjected.

 “Australia?” Daisy questioned in her northern accent, “It seems such a world away. That land down under the world.”

She glanced at Ivy.

Ivy stopped cutting some fish. “I hear they have tribesmen who run around with spears and humungous rabbit hides!” Ivy said. “And large grey bears that live in the trees! And those trees don’t drop their leaves in Winter.”

Mrs Patmore turned around, “Where did you learn about all of that nonsense Ivy?”

“Common knowledge Mrs Patmore.” Thomas stated leering at her.

It didn’t seem like it in Mr Molesly’s opinion. Thomas wasn’t one for being honest nor having reliable information.

Common knowledge my eye. It is codswallop.” Mrs Patmore scolded, “And you won’t be commenting on Miss Crabbesbrook’s old country or the way she conducts herself. The poor girl has enough to worry about.”

The room was silent except for Daisy’s constant beating against a bowl and the tapping of Jimmy’s foot as he tried to make his move in Gin.

 “I wonder if everything is upside down.” Daisy questioned.