Chapter Two

A/N) Thanks so much for the reads and your patience. I'm so sorry I took so long to write the next chapter. I had writers block but anyway here it is. Genevieve's political opinions aren't my own btw I just researched a bit about politics. Mr Horan will be joining us in Chapter Four, get pumped! Enjoy! 

________________________________________________________

Carson’s POV

The day was a bright one for Downton. The sun shone across the estate, lighting the gates and track down which two auto mobiles bumped down. One containing Miss Crabbesbrook’s luggage and the other, Mr Branson, Miss MacClare and Miss Crabbesbrook.

Carson always had nerves when guests arrived, since the arrival of multiple guests in the house over the years had resulted in queer and unwanted dismissal of staff, fraud, death or anger taking over the real enjoyment of fresh faces in the house, but he had never felt as queerly nervous as he was now awaiting Miss Crabbesbrook’s onset to the abbey. Most likely due to his Lordship’s sense of duty to welcome his late cousin’s daughter and his overwhelming trust in Carson to organise all the additional minutiae.

Carson had made sure the house presentable for the new family member’s arrival, instructing the maids to present the house pristinely as possible. His lordship had instructed Carson himself to prepare a permanent room for Miss Crabbesbrook which Carson followed, checking the room once it was done himself to make sure it was adequate.

Carson stood next to Mrs Hughes, then Anna who was on his left and Mr Branson, then Mrs Crawley on his right. Standing clean, unspoiled and respectable. James and another footman stood next to the door stiffly, ready to intercept the luggage, pleasing Carson, upholding the pride of the Downton roof her worked so hard to preserve. Lady Edith and Lady Mary stood to the right of the front entrance to the Abbey dressed presentably, smiling graciously as they watched the car approach, with his Lordship and Ladyship standing at the entrance watching the now close car pull to a halt.

The chauffeur instantly exited the vehicle, popping the back compartment that Carson had been informed to be called ‘the trunk.’ The footman next to James quickly walked over to get the luggage as James positioned himself to open the automobile’s door to the obviously excited Miss MacClare and the collected Miss Crabbesbrook. Mr Branson had already exited, telling his Lordship the details of the collection of Miss Crabbesbrook before stepping next to Lady Edith to welcome her. Carson straightened his posture, recollecting his disposition to welcome the guest.

James opened the door with his eyes to the ground as he helped the already talking Lady Rose out of the car,

“…And this is it!” She said excitedly. Gesturing up the abbey. She stood next to her ladyship grinning like a child with excitement. Rose beamed broadly, taking off her hand and fiddling with it.

“It’s incredible.” The girl said eyeing the abbey from top to bottom.

Carson then flicked his eyes to James, who raised his gaze in awe to meet those of a tall, slender girl with dirty blonde hair and stormy blue eyes who Carson assumed to Miss Crabbesbrook. She was dressed in neat attire and a small hat with her hair coiled in a hairstyle Carson couldn’t describe. But the girl’s smile appeared warming, mischievous even, but paired with her cold, stormy eyes seemed to add a level of maturity to the girl’s appearance with her slightly upturned nose and pinned back, elf like ears.

James quickly glanced at Carson in embarrassment, which Carson returned with a deep frown of annoyance before James offered her his hand to climb out of the automobile which she accepted. She climbed out and as she let go of James’ hand she smiled at him, stunning Mr Kent momentarily, before she walked towards to greet his Lordship and Ladyship. James closed the door but still seemed to be eyeing Miss Crabbesbrook, causing displeasure to stir in Carson. Carson gestured to the car which the other footman was unloading already in irritation, which James understood quickly hurrying off to do.