Chapter Four

A/N-Wow! Thanks for being so patient for Mr Horan to arrive in this fic. Also thanks for voting, I really appreciate it. Well here is Niall. I hope you enjoy it, lets just say this isn't a typical start to a romance ;)

Niall

"Last for Downton!" The conductor of the train shouted, followed by multiple whistles filling the air with an urgent atmosphere. Niall sat up from his seat abruptly, rubbing his eyes groggily. He grabbed his suitcase at his feet.

Niall had managed to fall asleep again on the train, joy! After trying for hours to try and keep from doing that exact thing. He was starting to think that moving to Downton may have not been the best idea. The trip from Mullingar sure had been a long one so far, but he seemed to be on the homestretch now...if he didn't miss his bloody stop!

"Damn it." He muttered walking out of his compartment and into the hallway and seeing the train beginning to leave Downton. In a burst of speed and activity Niall sprinted down the hallway through passengers who had boarded the train and towards the door with his trunk and his sack slung over his shoulder. With a sigh of relief, he managed to jump off the train.

Panting, he glanced at the empty platform. All the other passengers who had disembarked seemed to have departed. Tom was nowhere to be seen. The train whistle sounded in a shrill tone, the sound of escaping steam and wheels on tracks filling the air and soon enough, the train was gone. This left a cold, empty platform.

Niall kicked at the platform paving in boredom before walking over to a bench and collapsing upon it wearily. He hauled his case upon the bench as well and his rucksack. He took off his hat ruffling his hair and fiddling with it. He gave up and sat, a cold wind sweeping down the platform and chilling Niall slightly.

Niall had offered Tom his services to come to Downton and help with the cars as well as help with his cousin Sybil who was apparently named after Tom's wife whom Niall had met in Mullingar before she passed away.  Niall had welcomed Sybil and Tom very warmly after they came to live in Ireland. Niall wasn't married and Sybil was the life that Niall's house needed.

 But when Tom had gotten into trouble and had to leave Ireland, Niall somehow had to get Sybil back to the mainland of England as well as not getting into trouble himself. Which he did manage, eventually. But now going to live in the former home of the late wife of his uncle, Niall couldn't help feeling nervous and slightly unsettled. The thing is, Niall wasn't exactly excited either. Tom may have grown accustomed to blue blood life, right wing ding bats who sit on their arses all day.

Niall was never a fan of people like them and now he found himself moving in with them and working for them!

"Where did it go wrong." He muttered to himself.

The truth was Niall would probably never be able to return to Ireland. After what he did. He had made the same mistake as Tom, that was the real reason that he was coming to live with the backwards fools that were Tom's family in law. He pulled out the pendant with the painting of his mother and fiddled with it until it opened, revealing a familiar face. His mother wasn't a fan of monarchists either; Niall wondered what she would think of him moving to Downton.

If you could see me now.

Niall closed his pendant, his gaze still to the floor. His eyelids growing heavy. The sound of footsteps alerted him making himself sit up quickly. He heard a clearing of throat before an unknown accent, (Australian?) Brought him to attention.

"Mr Horan?"

He immediately met the gaze of a woman whom he didn't know, but she sure was gorgeous. With stormy blue eyes, dirty blonde hair and a warming smile, Niall was positively intrigued that was until he saw what she was wearing. A crisp, cream coloured blouse, a warm coat, pants and a hat. She was one of them. The upper class folk. He probably looked horrid to her then, dressed in pants, a hat and a dirty, thin coat.