Chapter 35 - Hopeless

Start from the beginning

"We're so compatible, now aren't we huh?" I say sarcastically to her as I roll my eyes and lean on my locker. Her face instantly softens up.

"Come on Z. I'm sure it's not anything that bad." She reassures me but it barely works because a million and one thoughts are rushing through my head right now.

"Do you think maybe something happened at home or something? Because he was completely fine when he left my house yesterday." I tell her but all she does is shrug because of course no one knows the answer to what's wrong with Trevor.

"We should get to class." I inform Marissa as I start walking to our math class, but she grabs my wrist before I get too far.

"Woah woah woah. Class doesn't start for another seven minutes." She says while checking her watch at the same time.

"So? You're never late to class."

"And I'm never insanely early to class." She steps up to me to whisper in my ear. "It'll ruin my reputation. I like to be right on time." She concludes as I look at her just to digest what she just told me. Classic Marissa.

"Do you wanna go to the vending machine?" I suggest to her and her eyes instantly light up.

"Could we got to the one by the gym though? It'll buy us more time." She smiles as I roll my eyes at her and we proceed to the vending machine.

I guess Marissa had planned it out greatly because we made it to class with only ten seconds to spare. She really does get to class just on time, huh? I took the seat right next to Trevor since Marissa sat next to Rider but at least this gives me the chance to find out what's wrong with him. Right?

"Trevor." I say to him right before the bell rings which causes our teacher, Mrs. Walters to close the door and get started with the lesson. I usually don't like to talk while any of my teachers are, but at this point, I honestly couldn't care any less. Trevor turns his head towards me while he rests his chin in his palm. His eyes are barely open and he doesn't even utter a word to me.

"What's wrong?" I whisper to him while Mrs. Walters starts today's lesson.

"Z, there's nothing wrong." He mutters under his breath. Obviously this is gonna be a lot harder than I thought.

"That's a bold face lie, Trevor. You barely even acknowledged me and plus you aren't acting like yourself."

"Why can't you just drop it? Damn, I'm just tired." He brings both hands to his face which causes him to just face the front now. If he thinks that's gonna get me to shut up, then he was dead wrong.

"You're tired? You left my house at nine, what made you oh so tired?" I try my best to keep my voice down before Mrs. Walters goes off on the both of us.

"Zendaya, I said I was tired, why can't you just leave-"

"Mr. Jackson!" Mrs. Walters says to Trevor as he barely even lifts his head up to answer her, he simply raises his eyebrows at her.

"Since you just can't seem to stop talking, why don't you tell me the answer to number four. Lne forty seven x squared." She folds her arms as Trevor exhales heavily and just stares at her for a second too long while the rest of the class is completely silent.

"I'm entitled to not answer your question." He finally lets out.

"Well you should answer the question before you find yourself in detention or worse, in school suspension." She demands and Trevor exhales once again.

"Out of all twenty six students in the class room you just had to choose me?" He mutters and I'm not quite sure Mrs. Walters heard him right away. She gets her meter stick off her desk and whacks it on the board loudly. Students lean back in their seat due because of the surprise.