04. crystallised

C H A P T E R • F O U R

"He stood you up?" Allison asked, eyebrows furrowed tight, wrinkles creating deep depressions in her forehead.

They were sitting in the courtyard of Berkley College, both having a free hour before their afternoon classes.

Lydia nodded, tearing a bit off her wrap and plopping it in her mouth. "Car problems."

Allison gaped. She shook her head, brown eyes bulging with annoyance and exasperation. "What an asshole," she muttered.

"I don't want to talk about it anymore," Lydia said. They'd been discussing it for almost fifteen minutes, and Lydia was having a hard time not talking about Stiles in as much detail as she would like. "Tell me about you and Scott. Are you back together again?"

Lydia half-listened to Allison talk; it was merely for a distraction from the lagging thoughts in the back of Lydia's mind. She wanted to see Stiles again, and the thought scared her.

She wanted to trace the moles on his skin, stare into his chestnut eyes and run her hand through the unkempt strands of his hair that had looked so soft and touchable.

A hand touched her shoulder, and Lydia flinched. She looked up to find Allison, books in her bag that was slung over her shoulder, frowning down at her.

"You okay?" Allison asked.

"Yeah," Lydia feigned. "Where are you going?"

"Did you not hear a word I just said? Scotts in the library, I'm going to meet him," Allison repeated. "You coming?"

Lydia shook her head and gathered her stuff. She really needed to stop daydreaming.

The pair headed over to the college library, and Allison lead her through the high shelves of books until they made it to the far corner.

There was a table, two boys sitting with books, paper and food wrappers askew across the surface. Lydia instantly recognised Scott, munching on a mouthful of food when Allison sat in the seat next to him.

Lydia almost dropped her bag when she saw his company.

"Oh my god," she gasped under her breath.

He looked up, eyes as golden as Lydia remembered. "Lydia?"

It was Stiles; looking tired and confused but none the less as captivating as Lydia remembered.

"You guys know each other?" Scott asked.

"I could ask you the same thing," Lydia replied, and Stiles smiled at her.

"Me and Lydia met the other weekend in town," Stiles supplied, and when his eyes met Lydia's, she knew he wasn't going to say anything until she did.

"I didn't know you went to this college," Lydia said, taking a seat beside him. Stiles was wearing grey sweatpants and a long sleeve black t-shirt, and Lydia decided it shouldn't have looked as good as it did. He looked like he'd literally just rolled out of bed.

"I don't," Stiles replied. "I go to Berkley, but I study here cause Scott does."

Lydia nodded. "How do you guys know each other?"

"Best buddies since Kindergarten," Scott answered, grinning at the teen next to Lydia.

And that was how the group of friends formed, fast and sudden, like a car crash. Except the aftermath was beautiful, and Lydia was suddenly thankful for Allison dating Scott.

*

chapter title: Crystallised by The xx

authors note: i started watching criminal minds two days ago and I'm already on season 2.

i now have an unhealthy obsession with matthew gray gubler. someone send help.

love ells:)