10. Caspar

Caspar wasn't having much luck on his journey. He had attempted to remain under his man-made shelter until he was given a sign of where his journey would take him. But after many days, no sign came. On the seventh day, he decided that remaining in one place would not help him as anyone could follow his tracks and take him by surprise. Staying on the move was safer. So, he traveled and found a small village where he hoped to find food and shelter for the night, preferring to remain as a human for a few days, until he had his bearings better. But, he had no luck.

Days of being a wolf meant he had not spent any time whittling wood and creating bartering objects. He had no money left as the cost of food and shelter grew the further he traveled from home. So the small village, having heard tales of mysteries people gathering in the woods at night and cattle being attacked on local farms by mysteriously large animals, cast him out into the rain and refused to entertain strangers.

Caspar spent that first night huddled in the corner of a horse stable for the night, before rushing off at first light so he was not discovered by the owner. For the remained of his days, he transformed to a wolf whenever out of sight from a village or town, hunting and tracking enough prey to keep him sustained and strong enough to continue his quest. He soon became disillusioned with humans. They were become more unkind and suspicious the further away from home he traveled and so he spent more and more time as a wolf. He hid in temples and caves, where he found his most peaceful rest and hunted within mountain and ocean regions to find vast quantities of prey.

He would gather enough food to keep well fed for days at a time, before moving on and fasting for many more days. It was a routine he quickly became accustomed to and appreciated, as his fasting days gave him more time to travel past villages and farmers where people would look upon him as a monster. Days spent as a wolf were happy and lazy, frolicking in the forests or ocean areas, hunting and resting his body until he was fully recovered and satisfied.

It was a strange time for Caspar, finding days of peace and days of fraught running and adventure. It was unnatural for their kind to spend so long without sustenance but his body took the change well. He found that the further he traveled and the more hostile the humans became, the more beautiful the scenery was. And the more sure he was that his mate was close by. His thoughts continually drifted to his mother and the trouble Bran had brought to their people, but he tried not to dwell on it too much. He knew that his task was only to find his mate and return home so he could increase the clan numbers, strengthen the army and help to maintain peace.

He had to keep his mind focused on that task and not waver from it. He knew how important it was that he return home as soon as possible with his mate and neither risk his own safety and happiness or risk leaving his mother and his people exposed to dangers. It was a heavy burden, but one he shouldered well, knowing that his whole clan depended on him. Without him, without all those who had left to find their mate, the clan would collapse.

-

Caspar continued to search for his mate, finding no sign or clue as to where he should look, other than a vague feeling he was close. But whether that was close by days or weeks or hours, he had no idea and was beginning to feel a little frustrated by how little information he had. So, he kept going. For nights, he ran as a wolf and slept during the twilight hours where he got little rest. By day he traveled as a human, which was much more laborious but allowed for more safety and meant that he was more aware of the humans and their fears.

He quickly arrived at a large farming town, the fourth of which he had encountered in as many weeks. When he put his mind to it, it had been twenty one days since he'd last had any real shelter. So, as he approached one of the barns of the furthest field in the town, he transformed long enough to take a running jump at a high window of the barn, before planting his feet as a human. He looked around and spotted a dark corner where he might get some sleep for a few hours. He settled down to doze off and recoup some of energy he had used up.

Caspar was exhausted. He had used up his store of food two days ago and was once again fasting, this time out of necessity not convenience. He hadn't had a proper sleep in almost twice as long. He continually found himself settling down for sleep late into the morning and having to rush off before he could be caught or found by humans who he now feared more than ever. However, he felt a pull to the area and was too afraid to leave in case he missed his mate, as he was sure she was somewhere within the nearby area. But, just as Caspar felt his eyes drooping and his concentration drifting off into that lull of sleep, his senses were shocked by a sharp kick to his side. When he looked up, surprised he hadn't heard anyone approach, he saw a large, burly man standing over him, brandishing a pitchfork.

"I care not what you want nor why you chose my barn. Get yourself up and out before I have to teach you a lesson." The man barked at him furiously. Caspar was given the chance to leave before he was forced to use the pitchfork to move him on. Strange stories were going around the villages of a mysterious monster who attacked people and ate them to hide the evidence. He didn't care who Caspar was or what he was, only that he get out of his barn and leave the town.

"I apologize sir. I am weary from travel, but see I have made a mistake. I will leave this area." Caspar promised carefully, knowing it was no time to be sharp or argue. The man shoved the pitchfork towards him in warning as he rose to his feet. Caspar showed his hands and backed away carefully, intending to leave and find shelter somewhere else. The man looked pleased with himself and showed no sign of making any more of the event than he already had. Until Caspar backed over to the barn entrance and his face changed. He didn't bother turning to look behind him, as he knew that he was already in too much trouble.

"What goes on here father? Who is this vagrant?" A young male voice asked, telling Caspar that he was caught between two people. Now that they had encountered one another, it was clear they had no intention of letting him go without a fight. He had to make a snap decision...would he fight or would he allow himself to be run out of the town?

Before he could make up his mind, the older man made a gruff explanation that he had 'intruded' on the barn without permission. The next thing Caspar knew a fist made impact in his ribs from the younger man. Without time to assess the danger, he was bombarded by shoves from the older man, with the hilt of the pitchfork and fist blows from the younger man. For a full ten minutes he was cornered, unable to defend himself and unwilling to transform to gain the upper hand. He knew that it was dangerous, that he could kill either of his attackers. But also knew that it was an unfair advantage that could expose what he was and that his kind were still in existence.

Caspar didn't even think about how he was too weak to muster the strength to fight back. All he knew was the relief and darkness as he drifted into unconsciousness. As his eyes closed and his mind shut off, he was sure he could hear a wolf call in the distance. Only, it was a call he had never heard before. He attempted to open his eyes and was greeted by a blinding, shining light of gold, radiating from a beautiful face. For a moment, he thought it impossible; that his tired brain, drifting into unconsciousness was playing tricks on him. He closed his eyes and contemplated the call, as he had been taught every call signal of their people since he was a child.

But there was no denying it. That call was new. And it accompanied him into the darkness.