9. Anca

Anca overheard Vivienne's adamant refusal to accept that Caspar would never unite with her, whilst leaving the other Elder, Sebastian's dwelling after discussing their hopes for Caspar's quick return. She had been in such a happy mood after his reassurances that her son would survive well and return to her soon. Upon hearing Vivienne's words, that happiness faded instantly. She quietly made her way back to her own home and withdrew into the privacy it offered to connect to her son. They shared the same mental link that all lycan parents shared with their children. She only hoped that this time, instead of sending reassurance as she had when he was a boy, she could use it to send a warning.

She spent an hour, deliberating what to say and how to phrase it so her son didn't think she wanted him to stay away. It was for his own sake she was contacting him, not through any loss of love.

Caspar was sleeping under his handmade shelter when he sensed his mothers worry. It penetrated his brain before her message did, waking him. And as he lay on the earth listening to his mothers concern for him, he savored the warmth that flooded him on knowing that he could reach out to her whenever he wished to. She begged him, in words that escaped her lips and words only he could hear.

"My son, your journey is before you, hard and long. I pray you do not falter or turn astray. I beg you to return with a mate or never return at all. If you return only danger and heartache await. Vivienne is dangerous to you." Was the message she managed to convey before the unsecured flap of her tent opened, letting moonlight shine onto her face.

Anca opened her eyes in panic, severing the connection with her son instantly, for fear someone may use it to contact Caspar. But she need not have worried. The figure standing in her doorway was none other than Sebastian himself. She smiled as Caspar sat up in the bright night of the forest where he lay, wondering why the connection had been broken so quickly. He wondered if his mother was in danger or in trouble. He wished to return to her, even if only for a few moments to ensure she was safe, but he knew better. Her warned was never to return home without a mate and that was what he must do. Even if it meant leaving his mother to whatever fate she was now entwined in.

-

Anca, luckily enough, just missed Aberle's conversation with Vivienne about Caspar's supposed fate. And it was just as well, because she didn't need anything else to worry about. Her thoughts were already tangled up elsewhere. Since the night she communicated with her son and her thoughts had been interrupted by the appearance of Sebastian, her mind had been in turmoil.

He had asked her to shed the heartache she had been living with since her mate, Nicolae had died those many years ago and accept another into her heart. He wished to bring them both happiness again by uniting them as mates, but also as a very prominent partnership within the clan.

Sebastian was the ultimate ruler within their clan and his request was a high honor indeed. But ever since he asked her to consider such a notion, she had been wracked with guilt that Caspar neither knew or was able to attend the ceremony if she agreed. That fact alone held her back from giving him an answer. Every time she saw him, she felt a pang of regret at not being able to relieve his mind, but also a sense of relief that she wouldn't have to spend her life alone and could instead, feel whole again.

It was such a tricky decision that for the longest time, Anca sat inside her tent deliberating the pros and cons of uniting with someone again. Caspar would have a father to show him and teach him things that most children learned at an early age. He had missed out on that and it might be good to have such an influential role model back in his life. If she united with Sebastian, he might expect Caspar to take over his rule one day. It was a big responsibility and would be all the more difficult to contend with if Caspar returned to find them united and felt obligated to take on such a role, as if his feelings had never been considered.

She didn't want to lay such a burden on him, but neither did she think he would approve if he ever found out that she had turned down such a proposition and a chance at happiness again. His heart was so full of other people, always wanting to make everyone happy. She knew if he ever found out, he would feel as if he had been the burden and prevented her from finding love again.

No other in the clan knew of Sebastian's intentions, as he had deliberately kept them a secret so she had plenty of time to impartially consider the offer. But the more Anca thought about it and the more she realized the chemistry that had been between them for the last few years, the less reasons she could find to deny him what he wished. She was still an attractive woman, with the same body and face as she had when she was twenty. It was one of the wonders of lycan life to never grow a day older than that wonderful year. Sebastian, on the other hand, had a distinguished look to him, having chosen to follow most Elders and leaders examples by taking a special potion on the day he became the leader of the clan almost ten years ago, to age.

Many Elders and leaders chose to continue taking the potion each year so they represented their age more visually. Sebastian found a certain charm in looking barely older than thirty years of age, whilst truly being many, many years older. It was a charm that worked well on Anca. She adored the slightly older look, bringing charm, charisma and wise years into focus. If he had looked any other way, she still would not have denied him, but she may have found him attractive for an entirely different reason. At that moment however, she decided there was no possible way for her to deny his request without it also breaking her heart.

Anca left her tent, unaware of her sons struggles and made her way quietly across to the main tent of the village, where Sebastian lived. He lived alone, as all rulers did unless they had a family. Because of the lateness of the night and chill of the night air, not one soul witnessed her light footed stroll in the moonlight. Without announcing herself, nor intending to, Anca entered Sebastian's tent. She found to her surprise, instead of a fire, a small lamp giving a gentle glow to the book he was reading.

As he felt the brief cold air entering his tent and looked to see what had caused it, he smiled in the knowledge that she had come to accept his proposal.

Things were seldom done in the old way any more, but he had asked her and given her time in that way, out of respect and love for Anca the woman, Anca the mother and of course, her son. He knew she required time to consider her feelings about uniting with another man and taking her sons feelings into account. He had thought she might contact him to discuss it. He could see in her eyes that she hadn't required any other opinion but her own. He gently placed his book upon the table beside him and extinguished the lamp. Inside the tent, the moonlight gave a shadow display in the night as he stepped forward to accept his new bride into his home, his life and his heart.