5. Kaitlin

Vairi was finding it difficult to settle into the clan society more than ever, after Kaitlin's revelations. It didn't matter that her words had been wise or good guidance or that Vairi herself knew that if she only followed the advice she would be much happier. The problem was that she couldn't bear to lose hope of Bran's return. In her mind, finding a place within the clan society and patiently awaiting the day of his return seemed somewhat of a betrayal. As if it meant she had given up believing in him and that he would return for her. Despite the fact Kaitlin's advice didn't require her to lose faith, but to keep it close to her and accept that her situation for the present was unchanging.

But it was too hard. To do that, Vairi had to go against everything she was and give up being who she was. The best solution, however, was to fake it until everyone, including herself, was convinced it was real. So although she didn't feel like it, when Kaitlin created a social 'council' meeting between the most prominent women of the community, she agreed to attend. She wouldn't be surrounded by people she hated or didn't know. It was limited only to those women with power and influence including herself, Kaitlin of course, Savannah, Catalina and Violet. All women who had opinions and strong connections to the community. Their first task, apparently, a week after her initial argument with Kaitlin, was to meet to discuss their 'council's' business and their first few problems of the community members.

"I'm so glad that we were all able to meet today. We have an important piece of business to discuss, but first, I'd like to reiterate the purpose of this council. We are trying to limit the needless crimes and community problems that have crept into the Elders council meetings. They have enough to deal with, without taking on the small problems as well. We shall attempt to create a social community with peace and harmony." With that said, Kaitlin lifted a piece of paper from the table before her and looked at the suggested topics for that day's meeting. She quickly found one that took precedence over the others.

"Our first piece of business seems rather trivial on the surface. But when we consider the deeper implications of such actions, I think you'll agree that is rather grave and requires our immediate attention." She explained quietly, giving the nod to Savannah so she could explain the situation. It had been her diligence and watchful presence at the market, visiting Catalina's stall, that first spotted the danger.

"Two teenage boys have been causing trouble in Charlesville. Clinton and Thomas began by dating human girls and escalated to using their gifts of mind control against them. The girls started doing anything the boys asked them to and it's becoming dangerous." Savannah explained gently, giving the overall picture before going into more detail.

The situation was already growing out of control and something needed done about it. But with the latest trouble Damian and the Elders had to deal with, Kaitlin had deciding against explaining the situation to them. She had chosen instead to create her own council to deal with community matters that would only hinder the real councils intentions.

"The girls have been doing dangerous, stupid stunts to prove their 'love' for the boys and how strong their powers are. One girl has already kidnapped her baby sister, a girl aged ten and allowed her boyfriend to feed from her. The other swam across to the remains of Purgatory Island and only just survived the ice cold water." The other women seemed shocked by such behavior by boys of their own clan. But it wasn't unusual for teenage boys, particularly those illegally turned in their young teenage years, to act out against their family.

"We must stop them before someone dies or we are discovered." Catalina concurred with the severity of Savannah's words. It was too risky to let them go unpunished. It would not only send the wrong message to the rest of the clan and those who were of age to not know any better, but it could get either one of the teenage human girls killed. The worst possible outcome was for them to be discovered again. The last time that happened, thankfully a few centuries ago, there had nearly been an all out war. The last thing they needed was to lose more men and women to a war that wasn't necessary.

"What possible punishments can we consider for this crime?" Vairi asked. Kaitlin realized she was indeed paying attention to the conversation. She had looked so lost in thought she had worried she was dwelling on Bran's absence again. But she was thankful for the concern she managed to find for her own people.

"I have spoken to Damian on this matter and this council has sole responsibility for the crimes we encounter. Punishment or forgiveness is entirely our call. We may give any punishment deemed fit for the crime." She explained gravely. The girls were surprised Damian would agree to such a thing. He had always been against punishing those who were misguided, under-age or not quite all there. But to give them free reign on punishments meant that he found the boys actions so severe there was no way he could allow them to go unpunished without bringing mayhem on the community. "It is on our hands how we deal with these two boys, but we must decide quickly. Clinton and Thomas cannot be allowed to continue this foolishness. We have until sunset to make a decision."

For a moment, all the girls went silent, weighing up the possible and suitable punishments for the boys. But for the longest time, a few hours at least, none were able to find the heart to bestow the punishments upon them. They stayed there, deliberating what to do with the human girls, so they wouldn't talk and trying to decide what fate lay before the two, reckless, teenage boys.