about last night | devin booker

about last night

dedicated to: brxanab12
non-explicit

"It's your first time coming out to a house party in a while, Briana, lighten up!" Amaya, Briana's best friend, yelled over the music that blared out the speakers. Rolling her eyes slowly, Briana kept her back against the wall with a red cup full of fruit punch in her right hand, wearing a frown upon her face.

"I don't like parties, Amaya, and you knew that before you dragged me out the house to come here."

"I just wanted you to have some fun," Amaya sighed, giving her best friend a look of sadness, "You haven't been yourself ever since you and Devin broke up a couple months ago." "Please don't bring him up, that's the last name I want to hear right now," Briana stressed, looking down in her red cup.

Briana's breakup with Devin truly devastated her; he was her world, and the fact that they ended on such bad terms hurt her to the core— especially over something so petty as an Instagram post. She couldn't help but think it was God's way of telling her that it wasn't their time; she didn't think it was his way of saying that Devin wasn't the one for her— she wouldn't be able to bare something like that. Over time, she's learned to deal with the decision Devin and her made three months ago; although Briana's starting to heal from it, every time Devin's name is brought up, she feels the pain start to build all the way back up.

As Amaya sighed once more, she glanced away from Briana, laying eyes on a tall figure who was sitting on the couch alone, staring in her and Briana's direction. Squinting her eyes slightly, Amaya gasped softly; dark brown hair, light toned skin, big brown eyes— Devin Booker was in the building.

"Briana, I know you don't want me to say his name, but there's a certain someone here in this building," Amaya hinted, causing Briana to shoot up an eyebrow and turn her head in her best friend's direction. "What do you mean 'a certain someone'?" Briana asked curiously, leaning off the wall slightly to look over where Amaya was. Once Briana locked eyes on the 'certain someone' Amaya was speaking of, her eyes widened in astonishment.

"Devin?" Briana whispered to herself, watching Devin stand up from his position on the couch and make his way over to Briana and Amaya slowly. Briana quickly reverted her eyes from Devin, trying to make a run for it, only to no avail.

"Hey Briana.."

Mouthing a curse word to herself, Briana slowly turned around, coming face to face with her first love. Taking in his appearance, Briana took a deep breath in, slowly exhaling it as she spoke, "Hello Devin." "You look great," he complimented, looking towards Amaya who was reverting her eyes between the two exes, "So do you, Amaya." "Thank you," Amaya nodded, looking at Briana, "I'll give you two some space. Call me if you need me."

Amaya walked away from the two, leaving them to tend to their awkward statures. "How have you been?" Devin asked, sliding his hands into his front pants pockets. Briana shrugged her shoulders softly, avoiding eye contact with Devin, "Um, fine I guess. You?" "Not as well as I'd hope to be doing," Devin confessed, causing Briana to look up.

"Why not?"

"I've missed my lady, that's why."

Briana's heart dropped to the pit of her stomach at Devin's words. He missed her? Shit, it didn't seem like it by all the constant pictures he posted with different females, living the life of a famous basketball player beside his teammates. "You have? It honestly doesn't seem like it," Briana stated, causing Devin to frown, "I'm surprised you can even show up to a party without being mauled by thirsty females." "They don't matter to me, Briana. They've never mattered to me; you're the only girl who could ever have my heart, man. Why don't you understand that?" Devin asked.