Chapter 2

I woke up on something comfortable, but then again so not. I tried to lift myself up, but my arms felt like noodles under my weight. I tried again, but after a while, I just couldn't even get my hands in the right position. Instead of coming to a predetermined defeat, I decided to observe my surroundings.

            I was in a tent like kind of place. All around I saw airplane seats reclined all the way back- farther back than I think is possible-almost like beds. That's when I realized I was laying on one of the airplane seats.

            Surprisingly, there were occupants to these beds . From my obstructed view of things (I was flat on my back), there were about five other people in the tent. I think I recognized a few of them, but they were too far for me to tell.

            "Ah, we've got a waker." someone said to my right. I immediately got into defensive mode. I did my best to turn and see my spy.

            Then I saw him. Goth Boy. He was only inches away from me, and I could see what he looked like. First of all, he looked in a way, anorexic, which didn't matter to me. After all, I looked the same way, if not skinnier. He had green eyes, that somehow changed to hazel in different positions. He held himself in a proud type of manner.  

            "I have a name you know, and waker isn't a word."

            "Of course it's not a word, I created it myself. " He said proudly.

            "Right..." I said, not really caring. "Could you back up a little bit, you're in my square."

            "Don't you mean bubble." He said not moving.

So stubborn, I thought. "No, square. My personal space square, and you're in it right now. Could ya step back just a little?" I said, moving my hands in a shoo- shoo motion.

            He finally moved out of my square, and that's when I noticed the ring. It was a beautiful and mystifying black ring, with a symbol etched into it.

            "What's that from or for?" I asked, pointing. They say pointing is rude, but I do it all the time.

            "Oh the ring," He said lifting his left hand and examining it. "It's nothing." It was on ring finger in fact, which to only meant one thing.

            "Your engaged? I hate to judge, but aren't you a little young?" I said, giving him a fake disapproval look. I loved it when people did the unexpected.

            He just looked at me like I was crazy. "Noooo!" He said quite loudly. "Why would I be engaged at this age, are you crazy." It wasn't a question, more like a statement, but I answered anyway.

            "Yes, I can proudly say I am. Now, I'm going to end this conversation by asking how long we've been on the island, and then you'll answer. I'm going to walk out this tent thingy, and you're going to go do.... whatever you do. Got it?" He just looked at me like I was crazy.

            "So, how long have we been on the island?"

            "About 5 to 6 hours."

            "Hmm.. Not too long. That's good." I said more to myself than him. "Well bye." I said, giving him my signature two finger salute. I hopped off the bed (with a lot of effort) and headed towards the opening that had to be the exit.

            "Bye." He said quietly.

     What I saw outside was nothing short of a human like ant colony. The few survivors we had were put in different groups, some worked on collecting fire wood, to feed the already blazing fire. Others helped build other tent thingies like the one I'd come out of. Some people were collecting pineapple looking fruits from trees. Then there were the people helping build a giant hole. There was only one thing it could be for.

            A picture of Olive Parker's corpse flashed through my mind. She couldn't have been the only one who didn't die from that crash. I had a moment of silence for all of our non-survivors. No matter what their personality was, they would be missed.

            "Esther!" I heard someone shout from my right. "Over here."

            I looked over to see Karen Michaels gesturing me over. I really wanted to look for my sister, but I walked over anyways. She was helping build a tent thing and putting in what I knew had to be her best effort.

            While the boys that were supposed to be helping her, were really just watching her, she was working hard !

            "Can you help me nail this into the ground?" She asked.

            "Sure." Now some of the boys were eyeing me like a piece of candy. "Get a life." I said to them. Some looked away in guilt, the rest gave me glares.

            "So how's it going?" Karen asked me cheerfully.

            "Okay, considering the fact that I just survived a plane crash." I said casually.

            "Same here. Hey.... do you know how long we'll be here?" She asked me curiously.

            "No, not really. There's the possibility that we could be here for a week, then there's the possibility of us being here for months." It was amazing how we talked so casually about a subject so drastic and, in a sense, scary. We were on our own, stranded on an island off the charts.

            "So true." she agreed. We had now nailed three of the four pegs into the ground.

"Attention! Attention! Can I have all survivors over here? I'd like to see who our survivors are so we can document it!" That teenager from earlier shouted with her hands cupped around her mouth. Who made you in charge? I wanted to shout back. But I kept my mouth shut. For now anyways.

            We all headed over to the teen and I looked around again. Some people who weren't there before were here now. Then my eye caught Emma's and she waved me over. I started walking over when Wham! I bumped into Goth Boy (I really need to learn this guy's name).

            "Oops, sorry." I said automatically.

            "Nope, it's my fault," he said and, it could just be me, but it seemed like he really meant it. I guess there still are some considerate people in the world. A moment passed with us just looked anywhere but each other. I don't know why, but I just couldn't look at him.

            "Well," I said, trying to stop the semi-awkward moment."I'm going to just go this way." I said, pointing in the total opposite way I was trying to go.

            "I mean this way." I said, redirecting my finger.

            "Cool." He said, giving me a look like I was crazy. Maybe I really am crazy.

            I just walked away. Heading back in the direction I was going. That's when I felt it. From the looks on the faces of others, they felt it too. It was a rumbling of some sort. I looked down at the ground and saw how the ground was shaking, a little. Then the shaking became worse, and worse. Soon I was on the ground, knocked off my feet.

            "Grab hands everyone, and move to the hole." The teenager's distinct voice shouted. Even though I really didn't want to, I followed orders.

            Everyone hopped into the hole, and bent down low. No one spoke. Well almost no one. Jordan Hart was blabbing his mouth off about how the dirt was ruining his clothes. Oh Goth boy, please punch him in the nose again.

            The rumbling was really bad now. So bad that foreign looking trees on the island were shaking. I thought it was about to get worse than it already was. Then... it stopped.

             Like the drop of a dime, it stopped. then several people on the other side of the giant hole screamed. Loudly.