chapter 14: Drapetomania pt.2

Start from the beginning

"PECULIARS!" the man screamed. He fell to the floor in trepidation and I took the opportunity to run past him and help Enoch.

When I got to the living room, I saw Enoch slam the front door closed.

"I got them outside," he panted, clearly out of breath.

"Where's Claire?" I asked, feeling my bones settle and the electricity drift from my body.

"There," Enoch pointed to the top of the steps.

Mrs. Enthen stood there, holding Claire in her arms.

"Don't come any closer!" She yelled, protecting Claire, though Claire didn't need it.

"Where's Millard," I whispered to Enoch, with my hands up.

"What?"

"He's on the same team as Claire."

"QUIET! OR, OR, I'LL. . .I'LL DROP HER!" Mrs. Enthen screamed.

My eyes widened at her threat, but in no time, Claire had her back mouth clamped against the woman's arm and was prying the pearl necklace off of Mrs. Enthen's neck.

I heard a snap and watched as the necklace broke off of the woman and floated down the stairs.

"Ha HA!" I heard Millard yell.

The woman screamed as Claire hopped down the steps to join the naked Millard.

I looked at the necklace in Millard's hand and grabbed it easily, as Millard was displaying it in the air like a 1st place trophy.

"Hey!" Millard yelled, running after me.

"Let's go!" Enoch yelled, pulling me by my hand.

"Not. So. Fast," A man spoke, barging through the front door.

The four of us stopped abruptly and stared at the terrifying man. Claire began to shake, and I looked at the shotgun in the man's hand.

This was no longer a game.

I pulled Claire behind me, and stared at the man, grasping onto the necklace.

"Wilson, shoot them! They're thieves!" Mrs. Enthen cried out.

I looked at the woman, shocked, and without thinking, slid my free hand into Enoch's and squeezed. He squeezed back.

Claire had her arms wrapped around my waist and a few tears fell to her cheeks. Wilson, the man with the shotgun, threw a pair of pants at Millard and ordered him to put them on. Millard quickly pulled them on. I gaped at the man, unable to move or speak.

"Hand over the necklace and no one gets hurt," Wilson ordered, pointing the gun at me.

I slowly reached out to drop the necklace, but he stopped me.

"You, girl. Only you come forward."

I dropped Enoch's hand and gently pushed Claire off of me. My heart was pounding.

"That's right, come over here, girl," he ordered.

I walked forward and took a shaky breath. Wilson put his hand out. I quickly dropped the necklace in his open hand and backed up.

"No, you stay right here. Something like this doesn't come without a punishment." On the word 'punishment' he grabbed my hand and turned me around to face my three friends, his shotgun across my neck. He was choking me.

"Let her go!" Enoch yelled.

"Hey hey hey, not so fast, boy," Mr. Enthen demanded. He came around the corner holding a pistol. Enoch raised his hands in surrender.