Epilogue

Hello everyone! So I have a big annoucement. I have gotten a new job!!! Any who, I'm in such a good mood that I finished up the last chapter of to this book. I do hope you enjoy and please read the note at the end. 

Several weeks later.

It was the final day of school and Hera was walking into her small home when she heard a wagon pull up to her front gate. She turned to see Deputy Kanan Jarrus grinning at her.

"Hello Ms. Syndulla, care for an afternoon ride?"

"Why Deputy, it sounds like you came a courtin," Hera giggled as she walked over to him.

"Something like that," he chuckled.

"Where's Ezra?" She asked knowing that the man had picked the child when she had dismissed school. 

"I left him with Zeb," Kanan said. 

"What about Sabine?" Hera asked raising an eyebrow at him.

Kanan looked over at the house and called for the girl. She came out onto the porch and her face lit up.

"Hi Kanan!" She called running over.

"Hey, how would you like to go over to Zeb's and play with Ezra for a bit, while your Mama and I go for an afternoon ride?"

"Okay," she chirped before racing towards the office.

Hera gave him a 'really' look and shook her head.

"You are something else."

"Funny, that's what I tell Ezra when he pulls stuff on me," he chuckled getting down from the wagon. "Well Ma'am, do I get the honor of escorting you on a drive?"

Hera nodded and took Kanan's hand as he helped her up. She noticed that he seemed nervous about something  and had a pretty good idea about what. 

"Is everything okay?" She asked. 

"Huh? Oh yes, perfectly fine," he said climbing back onto the seat. 

Hera didn't say anything, deciding that it would be far more interesting to see how this played out. 

Thirty minutes later 

The two were chatting about different things and Hera failed to notice that they were by the lake. Kanan stopped the horses and turned to the woman a big smile on his face. 

"Would you like to take a walk?" He asked. 

"Sure," she said. 

Kanan quickly helped Hera down and the two walked over to the edge of the water.

"You know Hera," Kanan said after a few minutes of silence. "We've only known each other for a short time but it feels much longer."

The woman smiled thinking back to when she first met the Deputy.

"Yes it seems like a lifetime ago."

"Ezra adores you probably more than I do and that's saying something because he's not one to get close. Then again he does get close to people its just..."

"Kanan," Hera interrupted. "You're rambling."

"Sorry," he sighed. "After Janus died, I was afraid that I would lose my son too. So I became everything he needed but there's something I've realized that I can't give him."

"Oh?" Hera answered her suspicions confirmed.

"A mother's love," he said turning to her. "Hera I love you and I love Sabine."

That through her for a loop.

"Kanan," she whispered no one had ever really said they loved her daughter except for her. 

Not being able hold them back, tears fell from her eyes.  

Kanan got down on one knee and grasped her hand.

"Hera Syndulla, you are a rare gem. You're beautiful, smart, wonderful with kids and most important of all you are the love of my life. Would you do me the honor by becoming my wife.?" 

Hera couldn't speak. Mentally she had prepared for Kanan proposing several months ago and was ready to say no. But at that point Thomas had still been alive and hunting her and Sabine. Now Thomas was dead and Kanan was not like Thomas Kanan Jarrus was a loving father and he did whatever was necessary to keep those around him safe. She felt the man's hand shake from the nerves. 

"Kanan," she whispered her voice trembling a little. "I...I must be honest with you." 

His face remained neutral but she could see the fear in his eyes. 

"Several months ago I sensed you were going to propose and I was prepared to say no," she paused to gather her words as Kanan's fear reached his face. 

"But then Thomas was still out there and I was afraid that he would kill whoever I was close to, but since he's not here anymore...." 

"Yes, I would love to marry you." 

Pure relief flooded him as swept the woman into a passionate kiss. He barely heard the cheers from behind them and all he could focus was on this moment. After what seemed like forever they pulled apart and rested their foreheads together. A minute later Kanan felt tiny arms wrap around his leg and looked down to see Ezra with tears in his eyes. 

"What's wrong EJ?" He asked picking him up. 

"Hera's going to be my Mama and I'm so happy," he said turning to the woman reaching out for her. 

Complying with the boy's wish, she took him in her arms hugging him close. Kanan glanced over to where Rex, Chopper and Zeb were standing sheepish grins on their faces. Sabine was hiding behind the Marshal's leg. Kanan reached out a hand towards her and smiled as Zeb coaxed the girl from behind. After a minute of staring at each other Sabine ran into Kanan's embrace, giggling as he scooped her up. 

"So we're a family now?" Ezra asked his father. 

Resting Sabine one hip, Kanan took Ezra from Hera and looked at Hera, Sabine and then to his son. 

"Ezra we've always been a family, we're just bigger now," he chuckled kissing his son's forehead. 

"Rex, Chopper and Zeb too?" Sabine asked. 

"Yes Sweetheart," Kanan chuckled kissing her forehead. "You, me, Ezra, Hera, Rex,Chopper and Zeb, we are family and that's how it will always be." 

Thank you so much to everyone who voted and commented on this story. I never thought in a millions years that this would be so popular. Now unfortunately the sequel will be a while due to training but until then I would love it if ya'll could check out TobiasClarke's story the Immortal Life. This is his very first story and he is a very dear and old friend of mine. If ya'll can check it out and let him know what ya'll think he would be very grateful. 

Thank ya'll so much and have a wonderful day.