A New Friend

Hi everyone! Here is the next chapter to Prairie Rose. Enjoy!!!!!

Several hours later Kanan was sitting at his desk when the door opened.

"Marshal Jarrus?" Hera called tentatively.

Kanan glanced up from his work to see her standing there with Ezra's books in hand.

"Hera," he greeted going back to work.

"Can we talk?" She asked.

"About what?" He asked as the small bundle at his feet shifted.

Hera sat the bundle down and steeled herself for the argument that was to come.

"About what happened today at the school."

"Oh that, sure. Ezra's asleep so maybe we should do this in the other room," Kanan said getting slowly so not to disturb his son.

Hera seemed a little surprised about how calm he seemed and followed him to the back room. Once the adults had disappeared Sabine stuck her head in. Seeing the coast was clear she snuck over to the desk.

"Ezra?" She prodded the sleeping child.

He gave a soft snore and didn't wake. She frowned and then suddenly got an idea.

"Ezra, I'm gonna kiss you!" she whispered in his ear.

"Huh?" He gave a start.

Sabine laughed, she couldn't help the look on his face was priceless.

"You're gonna do what with my face?" He yelped.

Sabine giggled even more.

"Sorry but I had to wake you."

Ezra pouted. He decided that he didn't like getting woken up by a girl.

"Hey, I want to talk about what happened?" Sabine said getting to the point. 

Ezra slumped against the desk.

"Tim and his gang are out to get me."

"Why?"

"Because Papa had to arrest Jason's father one night and it turned bad. Jason's father went for his gun and shot Papa."

Flashback

Kanan was in Zeb's office tying up a few loose ends. Three year-old Ezra was curled up at his feet fighting sleep.

"Go back to sleep EJ," Kanan said bouncing the child on his foot.

"But I'm not sleepy," he said yawning like a kitten.

Kanan chuckled and went to pick him up when the bartender ran in.

"Kanan where's Zeb?" Joe asked panicked. 

"Upstairs sick why?" Kanan asked getting up.

"Jackson Till is drunk and threatening to shoot up the place," Joe said. 

"Okay, I'll go get Jackson and you run up and get Zeb," Kanan said watching the man run out the door.

"Papa?" Ezra question slightly afraid.

"Stay here Ezra, and I will be right back," he said leaving as well.

Inside the saloon Kanan could see that things were tense. Jackson was indeed drunk and kept spinning his gun around.

"Alright Jackson, enough is enough. I'm arresting you for disorderly conduct."

"Yeah and what if I don't?" Jackson asked turning to glare at him.