FIVE | STRANGER THINGS

❝ What's happeningto me? ❞

❝ What's happening
to me? ❞

───────
FIVE | STRANGER THINGS

A gentle knock on the door was heard into the room I was in, followed by a voice as gentle as the knock itself, "Harlow, honey?" She asked. I saw the doorknob turning and two seconds later a pair of hazel eyes peeking from behind the white door, "Are you okay in here?" Diana-my foster mother observed me as I stood by the window. I raised my eyebrows as I listened to her.

"Yeah," I stated, "I'll be downstairs in a minute," she nodded.

"Will was wondering if you'd like him to drop you at the station."

"Don't worry, I'll be okay on my own. I want to take a look at the city before I leave," Diana nodded.

"Are you not going to have breakfast?" She walked up to me.

"I'll have breakfast at the diner on the third avenue, I don't want to bother you," yes, I was already going back to Central City, Joe found out I wasn't sick. I stayed at my old house for two days, it had been just the night before that I had received a call from Joe. Surprisingly, he was not as angry as I thought he would.

"That's not a bother at all," she said, blithely, wrapping her arm around my shoulders, "don't wander around for too long or you'll miss the train to Central," she pecked me on the cheek.

"I won't," I gave her a smile and watched her leave, closing the door behind her. Will and Diana were good people, and even though they had received me in their house after my parent's death, our relationship was not as close. We did consider ourselves a family, but at the same time we minded our own businesses, they had their life here at Coast City and I had mine at Central City. We weren't in touch, we didn't visit each other very often either, but still we had an special connection.

I sprawled on the bed with my feet dandling off of it and stared at the ceiling with my arms wide open. Being in that house was almost like traveling back in time, the smallest thing would trigger a series of memories, these flashed before my eyes and they almost felt real. The food poisoning lie lasted two days, it was enough to me. I got a couple of days off and I was feeling better, I was ready to go back; I couldn't stay in Coast City any longer, nor faking food poisoning for weeks, so a part of me wasn't really bothered by the fact of having to leave, I just had to.

I sat up and headed to the small bathroom to check myself in the mirror. I combed my hair with my fingers, stared at my face for a couple of seconds, finding amusing that I looked so rested, there was no trace of the bags under my eyes, not even a headache. I saw the corners of my mouth curling into a smile on the reflection. I was myself again.

"Okay this is it," I told to myself, "you're going back, just chill out, everything will go just fine from now on," I nodded, convincing myself and then blew out my cheeks. I stepped out of the bathroom and grabbed the backpack from the bed and threw the strap on my shoulder.