Chapter 3 - No Rainbows Yet

The glorious sight of none other than Rob Walker made me look twice. I swear, the man had a habit of showing up at the weirdest places. And more often than not, I happened to be there.

He got out of his black Nissan Rogue and scanned his surroundings, taking in the busy driveway stocked with cars and cops. Two men wearing all black got out of the car behind him and walked over to join him. I raised my eyebrows when Rob finally spotted me. Who are the meatheads with him?

Rob headed straight towards me, not paying the slightest attention to the officers who gawked at him, probably wondering who the hell was he. I, myself, didn't have an answer to that question. The man was a mystery.

My eyes were subtle as they swept over him, appreciating his muscular body which even the winter clothes couldn't hide. My heart, however, took obvious to a whole new level because it did a double backflip and freaking somersault too as I admired his confident walk.

Focus, I snapped at my treacherous heart and forced a frown on my face. "So, we're back to you following me?"

If he hadn't been looking at me, I would've assumed he didn't hear me. He did, however. He was just... complicated. And aggravating and exasperating!

Rob glanced at Sean before he took his usual I'm-in-charge stance and gave me a look. "What are you two doing here?"

Together? He didn't say it out loud, but I sensed it so he might as well have. I stared at him, shaking with the urge to start shouting. How dare he? Especially after what happened last week!

"I'm afraid that's police business," Sean said, saving me from making a scene. "In fact, you shouldn't even be here, Walker."

"Right." Rob smirked to himself, though he didn't look very amused, and pushed between Sean and me, walking towards the house.

As I frowned at his back, wondering what could he possibly be up to now, Sean followed after him.

"I'm not kidding, Walker." Sean caught up to Rob in no time and stopped right in front of him, blocking his path.

I didn't think that was the best idea. And judging by how fast Rob's entourage stepped forward and flanked Rob they didn't like it either.

I knew Sean was aware of their presence, just like every other officer at the scene, but he didn't even spare them a glance. He kept staring at Rob with his eyebrows slightly raised and a do-you-really-wanna-do-this look that Rob seemed to find plain old boring.

Bitting my lip, I slowly retreated, contemplating using the commotion and hightailing it. Possibly out of the city. Somewhere warm and sunny where I wouldn't have to deal with the stupid snow and my-junk-is-bigger-than-yours Neanderthals.

However, my conscience kept nagging on me until I sighed and rejoined the pack of wild, snarling dogs. I wasn't the only one who joined the group.

Detective Michaels stepped up next to Sean. "Everything alright, Jones?"

Sean gave him a nod, but he addressed Rob. "You can either walk away by yourself or I can have someone escort you."

"Or you can get out of my way," Rob said, checking his watch. "My clients are in the house and I'd like to get them out of the safe room, if you don't mind."

"Clients?" Sean and I asked at the same time.

Rob pressed his lips into a thin line before he answered. His patience was tested. I knew that from experience. He would do that whenever he thought I was being difficult. "Abelmans. We advise our clients not to leave the safe room until we come to make sure the danger has passed. We would've arrived earlier if only there wasn't hell in the city."