Summer School

July 15.

Here I was, Monday morning, getting ready for my first day of summer school. Sadly, my sister was sick and couldn't go with me to school.

At school, I saw Junior and I ran to him and hugged him. He wasn't as cheesy as usual and he wasn't trying to kiss me like always.
"Hey. Are you okay?", I asked him.
"I'm just too hot.", he answered.
"Oh... okay...?"
And we went into the classroom.

Ms. Peralta gave us the directions of the course and made us work in groups to determine the words that were hard for us to pronounce and those things we wanted to learn how to say. Since the class wasn't so big, we had two groups. Junior didn't want to work in my group. After I asked him, he said he wanted to go to his friends' group. I didn't like the distance he was giving me, so I gave him a little of his own medicine and ignored him the whole day until the break, which was at 11am.
"Why are you mad at me?", he asked me with an attitude.
"Me? You're the one who started this.", I told him.
"I didn't start anything. What are you taking about?"
"You wanted some distance, and that's what I'm giving you."
"Who said I wanted to be distant?"
"Your attitude said it."
"Girls are always trying to confuse things. The attitude does not talk."
"Well, it does for me."
"Ugh! Whatever. Me da igual."
And he left. I felt so useless when he said he could care less about what I thought. All I wanted to do was punch him in the eye! Literally! PUNCH HIM IN THE EYE! I didn't do anything to him, so I didn't understand why he was so rude.

When we went back to the classroom, he sent me a note that said, "Sorry. Ice cream after school to make amends? I'll pay ;)"
Even though I didn't like the way he treated me and the plain sorry note he sent me, I agreed to go with him to get some ice cream.

After school, we went out and I saw my school bus waiting for me. "OMG! I can't go for ice cream, the bus is waiting for me. I totally forgot!", I told Junior.
"Don't worry about the bus. My mom can take you home.", he said.
"But your mom doesn't know me and I don't know her either."
"Is okay. She knows we are dating and she wanted to meet you."
I thought that he was exaggerating things and I didn't see the need of meeting his mom. But as dumb as I was, I agreed. I took his phone and called my mom saying the bus left me and that the mother of a female friend was taking me home. My mom told me to put her on the phone and my heart stopped beating for a second.
"I'll tell her to call you once she gets here.", I told my mom.
"No, no, no. I don't know her and I haven't talked to her. I will call uncle Manny and see if he can pick you up.", mami said.
"Oh, okay.", I didn't like the fact that I lied to my mom. But I wanted to get away with Junior.

When mami called back, she told me that my uncle was going to be at school in 45 minutes and to wait for him there. Junior told me that there was an ice-cream shop like 5 minutes away. And I went with him and called my mom and told her to tell my uncle to call 5 minutes before he got there, because "I was inside, on the fourth floor" and I didn't want to make him wait. And she did.

Junior and I went for the ice creams and he was a sweet heart with me. We had a talk time and he talked to me about his problems. Apparently, his parents were going to get divorce. I felt really sad and it reminded me of my life back in DR and all the domestic violence I had to go through. So I put myself in his shoes and understood why he was cranky and distant.

He took me back to school and I waited for my uncle to pick me up. When I got home, my sister didn't believe the bus left me and knew I went out with Junior. She was furious because in her eyes, it seemed like I preferred him, because I chose to lie to my mom to go out with him. That actually made me feel bad, but again, I didn't do anything about it.

We never did it again, even though he would still buy me ice cream during our breaks in school.