Quick Review - After Divorce

One year and a half passed and the divorce was finished, giving my mom our complete custody until my dad recovered from alcohol and enrolled himself on a domestic violence control course.

I was an honors student again! Yay me!
My sister wasn't an honors student, but she got better in school. Yay her!

My grandmother had petitioned her sons and daughters to become permanent residents of the United States (she was a citizen) 10 years ago, and we finally got our visas. My cousins, my sister and I automatically got our visas as well, and we were all more than ready to leave and start a new life.

After the petition was finalized, we had to go get like 10 vaccines per person, get our passports, wait for our visas to be confirmed, sell some stuff from out house to get the money for the plain tickets and bring some money to sustain ourselves until mom found a job, and figure out what to do with the house.

Out of my mother's siblings, one couldn't make it. After all the money she spent on the vaccines and the passport and all of that, the gringos denied her the visa. They said that it was because she was in her late 30s and was the only one with no record of marriage and with no kids out of all, and that it was suspicious. Poor tia... but at least we got someone to take care of our house. My other aunts and uncles got their wives and husbands family members taking care of their houses.

And just before my sister's 13th birthday, we left the country.