New Start

February 15.
Boston, Massachusetts.

"¡Mira que lindo! ¡Ya llegaron a los 'Nuevayores'! Ahora si estaremos todos juntos, como familia. (How cute! You guys finally arrived at the United States! Now we are going to be together, as a family.)", said mamá (our grandmother) with a huge smile on her face.

We were happy to be here, but the things we dreamed of when coming to the United States weren't a reality. There were broken streets as in DR, there were some ugly houses, there were a lot of homeless people, there was garbage here and there; things weren't so different. There was something that scared me, and it was knowing that the houses weren't built with the same strong material as in the Dominican Republic. I used to live in a house made of blocks and cement, but now I had to live en una casa de cartón (a cardboard house), because that's how it felt. It was cold, extremely cold, but I didn't care, as long as we could see the snow for the first time in our lives. When I asked my grandmother if she wasn't scare of living in a house like that, she explained to me that they weren't made from cardboard and that the materials might not be as strong as in DR, but that she had lived in the same house for 9 years and she was doing just fine. She told me that they were made like that to protect us from the cold weather, because there was something between the walls that prevented the cold weather from getting in. And at that moment, I felt safe.