I - Strange Encounter

The air was cold and dry, the moon luminated the trees as the wind russled the leaves. The faint sound of footsteps tapping against the pathway could be heard below. She wore a long leather coat that blew softly as she carried her bag over her shoulder. Her long brown curls tussled around as the wind embraced her. She looked up at the moon and took a deep breath of air and slowly released it. She had always walked this way. She hated the city. She never really socialized with anyone, they all seemed to keep a distance from her. She looked intimidating when they locked eyes with her. They shivered and glanced quickly away, sometimes sped walked away to avoid coming near her. She couldn't help it, she just had that face. The face of a killer, eyes that had seen death and honestly, they did.

Her life revolved around her books and sketches. It kept her from reality, made her feel not so alone in this crowded world. She always kept to herself, trying to avoid everyone when she could. They never brought comfort, no one seemed to talk or stay long enough around her to even say hey. It was like they were always in a rush to get away. Like as if they knew.

She sighed. She came to have a hard attitude, never smiled, was always serious, and never seemed to take a joke. She had to be hard, had to be stern, in a world like this, how can she let her guard down? At this point it seemed like the world was her enemy. So, she kept a distance. Only went out at night, always avoided people when she could, and always kept her bowie knife nearby just in case. However, no one really bothered her. It seemed even the creeps that lurked at night tried avoiding her. It only took one look. Her crystal grey eyes seemed to glow in the moonlight, it stood out from the shadows. Her brows arched sharp above her eyes. Making it seemed like she was always mad, but she wasn't. Her eyes hid her true feelings. Loneliness. Sorrow. Regret. Guilt. Her pain cut deep, but tears never came. They never did. She felt emotionless but yet, felt so much. So, she kept to the shadows, stayed away. That's all she could do. To keep her from getting hurt. To keep a distance from everyone. She blocks out the world to avoid her emotions coming out. She hated the world; the people. She couldn't trust anyone.

She stopped clenching her fists. It wasn't always like this. She never used to be this way, her world used to fill her with joy; she loved it. Loved everything about it. She used to be so happy not shedding a care in the world. She was careless, but she underestimated how cruel this world could be. How easy your life could change, how unpredictable it can be.

Until that day. The day that it happened; all the screams, the blood. She gripped her arm holding back the pain. Not here. I can't look back. She steady her breath before standing up straighter and continued to walk. She refused to remember. There's no good in remembering, the past has past; they're gone. There's nothing she can do. All it brought was pain and regret, regret for making them take that shortcut. Guilt for not moving and not saving them. Regret for standing by, watching as their throats got ripped out. NO! I REFUSE TO REMEMBER!

She stopped again taking deeper breaths trying to calm her heart. It felt like it could burst from her chest, her eyes burned but still no tears came. Suddenly, she stiffened up and held her breath. The air was silent, the wind blew but it didn't sing. The air seemed still yet it was breezy. She felt like her back was on fire as she turned around slowly. Her face calm and stern but her heart raced. Someone was watching her. She glanced around slowly trying not to lose her composure. She looked thoroughly around her until her eyes went up to a tree. There, someone was squatting, hiding in the shadows. They barely moved but she knew they were watching her. She clenched her fists and laid a hand on her knife that strapped to her side. Her trench coat concealing it from the world. She turned back around and continued her steady pace. She showed no fear, but she always got a rush. It could've​ been her anxiety kicking in. The thought of people watching her. She hated it. If they wanted to kill her so be it. She had nothing left to live for, but she still wouldn't go out without a fight. She refused to be vulnerable like she was that night.. That regretful night...