Chapter 18

Chapter 18
Josh's POV

'Beep beep beep beep' my digital alarm clock went off loudly waking me from my dream of nothing. I'm pretty sure I had a dream, I just do not remember a single thing about it. I hate it when that happens. I threw my heavy comforter off my legs and jumped onto the floor. I quickly changed out of my pajamas. I looked back over at my digital clock, the red numbers read 7:29. That meant in just 1 short minute, my little sister Paige will be parading the halls.

Paige loved Christmas, and this year I decided, that I was going to ask Paige to come along with my to get Maddie's surprise. I watched the numbers on the clock change so they read 7:30 and mentally counted down in my head.

3...2.....1....

"Christmas time! Christmas! Wake up!" Paige ran down the hall like she was only 6 years old. She knocked heavily on Brooke's door, "Brookie! Wake up it's Chritmas Day!" Paige pounded.

"Go away Paige. I'm sleeping in till 8." My cranky sister yelled through the door. "Joshy! Joshy!" Paige ran up to my door as I opened it. Paige jumped back, I guess she was assuming I was still asleep. "Paige, I need your help with something." I grabbed her by the wrist and yanked her inside the room.

I spent a while trying to explain what we were going to do for Maddie's surprise and when I had finally finished, Paige nodded slowly. "Are you sure Joshua?" she questioned uneasily.

"Of course I'm sure! Why wouldn't I be?" I spat angrily. Can you believe her? She's having second thoughts about my surprise for Maddie.

"Fine, you know best." She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms sassily. I cocked my hip out and snapped my finger at Paige, "Oooo Gurl! don't get all sassy with me!" I shook my head back and forth as Paige snorted. "Let's just go already!" She laughed and opened the door so we could creep outside.
___________________________

Maddie's POV
{Meanwhile}

I fluttered my eyes open and groggily sat up, putting my weight onto my good wrist. I rubbed my eyes slowly and picked the 'sleepy bugs' out of the corners of my eyes.

I decided staying in my sweatpants and t-shirt would be just fine and stepped out of bed. My feet hit the cold floor and I jumped back onto the bed. The hard stone floor was colder than my fathers heart!

Cold cold cold cold cold cold cold cold!

My thoughts ran through my head as I strode across the floor to prevent the most contact with the floor. I went into the supply closet and found a mini Christmas tree. "Perfect," I whispered under my breath, and grabbed the tree.

I rushed upstairs before my parents could wake up and set the tree in the corner by the fireplace. I plugged in the two sets of lights and gaped in awe at the miniature flashing light show before me. I grabbed the 10 ornaments in the box and hung them across the tree draped in lights. Finally I grabbed the fragile glass angel and placed it neatly on top of the tree. I smiled at the beauty, somehow the angel made me feel safe.
We read in school once that there was a girl who was in a car accident and was wedged between the seats, and nobody could get her out. However, a priest came along and had this cream that slipped her out, and he took a few pictures for the newspaper,but then was gone. The next day, he didn't show up in any of the pictures and everybody assumed he was a guardian angel. I snapped out of my thoughts and realized we needed more supplies.

I quickly ran down to the supply closet and hung up four small stockings across the fireplace. I was fidgeting around with the fourth, when my mother came down the steps. "Aww Maddie! You decorated, but why are there 4 stockings?" She furrowed her eyebrow and I could tell she was pissed off.

I had just grabbed what was there and hadn't realized that now there were only 3 family members in our humble little home. "Is this some stupid cruel joke?" My moms joy changed quickly, as always.

"Mom! I grabbed what was there, I didn't know there was four!" I sputtered out walking back as my mom cornered me.

I looked at the kitchen clock, it was 8:15, but I thought Josh wanted me to do this at 8, but why? Was he trying to turn my parents against me?

My mother leaned in and slapped me, "If Kenzie saw you now, she'd be disappointed in your gracelessness." She spat in my face, but hot wet tears didn't form in my eyes, because she opened up a grand opportunity. "If Kenzie saw you now she would hate you almost as much as I do." I smirked and leaned into her face.

Big mistake.

"Melissa! Move aside!" Harry pushed my mother away from me and for a moment I thought he was actually saving me. "I can handle this Harry!" My mother stepped towards my stepdad and leaned in daringly close.

"No you can't!" He shoved her into the wall as she stumbled by my tree. Harry saw my injured hand and grabbed it and squeezed it tightly. I let out a shriek of pain that left my own ears ringing. Harry shoved me to the floor and I fell onto my miniature Christmas tree. I saw the glass angel on the top slowly slip off the tree. "No!" I screamed as it shattered into millions of pieces. It was sad that such a beautiful piece of art was destroyed.

As my mind mentioned the word art, I thought of Josh and the lies I had told him. "You little fucker think you can defy your mother and I?" He kicked my side harshly and picked me up by my hair just to throw me down again. "Josh!" I cried out in exasperation wondering where he was. "Who's Josh? Your little angel?" He kicked the remaining pieced of the glass angel aside and shoved his fist in my face. Usually he was not this violent, maybe it was his idea of a Christmas gift.

Finally, I curled into a ball and laid motionless on the ground. "Harry," my mom began in fear, but Harry didn't want to hear it. "Shut up Melissa."

When they left the room I gasped for breath.

Thanks a lot Josh.
•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•

Josh's POV

Paige and I ran down the streets as fast as humanly possible. Our feet smacked the ground as a moment of silence passed as our bodies jumped from the ground, before taking another stride across the streets.

For a moment it felt like a loud shriek rang through the air. I shook it off, it was just my imagination, we're almost there.

We finally stopped at a moderately tall building and hunched over to pant and regain breath. We stepped back as a car with blue and red flashing lights left the building in a hurry as we stumbled inside.

I saw a series of desks and offices as I stepped around until I found who I was looking for, Chief of Police, also known as my Uncle Kenny.

"Uncle Kenny!" I called waving him over. Uncle Kenny was tall and had a furry mustache slung above his upper lip.

"Hey! Joshua, Paige, what brings you down to the station?" Uncle Kenny smiled and led us into his office. He gestured to two chairs facing his desk and we took our seats.

I took a long breath in enforce heaving a sigh. "Can we report an abuse?" I asked quickly. Uncle Kenny's eyes grew wide and I assumed he thought I was implying that my own parents hurt me.

"Not us, but a friend." Paige quickly recovered for me. "Can I see your proof?" He leaned his elbows on his desk with his usually cheery smile, now in a serious disposition. "We didn't bring any," I blushed, embarrassed at my carelessness. "I'm sorry kiddos, but you can't report an abuse without proof." Uncle Kenny sat up and opened the door. "But Merry Christmas!" He smiled and kissed Paige and I on the forehead.

I slumped as we walked home along the street. "I'm an idiot Paige," I sighed. "No it's a careless mistake, at least she's safe for now," Paige smiled. The truth was that Maddie might not be because I intended to save her, but maybe she's ok. I pushed the thoughts out of my mind and stopped at a flower store to find Maddie a new present.

A/N: HAHA! Plot twist😏 you all thought Josh would save Maddie didn't you?? If not then I feel stupid😳 15 more votes!