Chapter 12

Chapter 12
Maddie's POV

"What?" Josh asked cluelessly. I let the tears run silently down my face, "because it's my fault my sister is dead."
I repeated for him.

"I don't understand," he looked confused and of course he did we all were. I sat down on the empty park bench we were approaching and Josh followed and took a seat next to me. I sighed, but as I exhaled a cloud of my breath froze in the air. A shiver went down my spine and I shuttered in lack of heat and warmth. "Here, take my jacket," he slipped off his warm and fuzzy jacket and helped me into it. He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me in close so I could nestle my head in between his shoulder and head. I snuggled with Josh and felt the warmth and romance in the nice moment, but realized I had to explain what happened that night.

Flashback

"Rippy Hippy Skippy Hoe!" Nia and I chanted as our light up sketchers light up the dark tunnel. Our feet bounded across on each word we sang. My 4 year old sister Kenzie leaned hastily against the wall on the opposing side of the tunnel. "Tippy Lippy Dippy Woah!" We sang our second verse and crossed sides once more. "Maddie!" Kenzie whined standing up. "I want to go back to the park and play princesses!" She slumped over to the edge of the road before anybody crossed. "This game isn't safe or fun." She yelled across to get my attention. "Maybe that's cause you're such a baby." I teased and cocked my hip out to the side. "Babies can't play with us." Nia added on sticking her tongue out at Kenzie.

Kenzie did not like being called a baby, at all. "Oh yeah! Well just you watch and see I'm no-" Kenzie's voice was being drowned out my the sound of a truck's horn. Kenzie darted across and I could see her beginning to mouth the words, "Rippy Hippy Skippy-" "No!!!!" I screamed as a truck came speeding through. She knew she was supposed to look both ways before crossing, but she had been so eager to show Maddie she wasn't a little whiny baby that she bounded to her death.

That was the end of my happiness.
__________________________

"And when I finally worked up the courage to tell mom what really happened, that it was 3rd degree murder and my taunts that sent Kenzie up to heaven, she despised me." I sobbed all over Josh's shirt, but he didn't mind. He just nodded his head patiently.

"So she began abusing you?" He questioned me curiously.

"Not exactly, she remarried an abusive man and she hated me so much she let it go." It felt as if a weight had been lifted off my chest. "What I don't understand is, why?" He said blankly staring at our feet. His open-ended question left me pondering over how to read it. A confused look struck my face and Josh went deeper into the meaning. " Why, do you put up with all of this if you know they'll always hurt you, why do you still love them?" I just shrugged and smiled thinking of how much I did love Kenzie, and tolerated the others. "What time is it?" I asked carelessly as Josh pulled out his phone. "6:24" he said plainly, but I was an hour and a half late for dinner. " I gotta go I'm in deep trouble they'll be
drunk and angry when I get home." I hustled to my feet and gave Josh his jacket back. "Wait! Don't go home it's too dangerous, spend the night at our house you can sleep in Paige's room." He looked at me seriously. I knew he wanted to protect me and I liked the thought of more time with Josh so I nodded quickly. "But first I gotta sneak in and do the laundry or they'll have a cow tomorrow," I dragged Josh back to my house and had him hide outside while I crawled through the window. My room was connected to the laundry room and I ran in silently and quickly threw the clothes in the machine, not seeing a dark green sock fall in with the whites load. I quietly scrambled back out the window and found Josh in the bushes. He hopped up and grabbed my hand. "Done!" I smiled as Josh leaned in and kissed my cheek for the hundredth time today. It felt nice to have somebody love me, for real.
___________________________

A/N: AWWW<3 ok 5 votes for more!

I have just now realized how awkward I am. I'm bad at making friends online so I'm talking to tons of you and I sound like an idiot :'D

Also please check out my new story "Tearing Me Apart" trust me it's different from the others, partially in the sense that she's not dating Josh Hyland :'D. I've realized a lot of wattpad accounts have similar stories but the author's personal touch makes a world a difference!:)