Chapter 2: Runt?

“See that, Jerome?” The furry creature asked his son as he pointed to a cow that was eating the grass under a tree. The sun was shining against the canopy of leaves, creating a comfortable shadow for the animal to reside in.

Jerome nodded narrowing his eyes at the prey.

“Good. There’s a bush a little way off behind it. Hide behind it and stalk it, then kill it when you think the time’s right. Okay?”

The young Bacca nodded, determination in his beady black eyes. “Got it.” He fell down on all four of his paws and carefully approached the shrub, leaving his father to watch from the top of a tree.

Jerome kept an eye on the cow, narrowing his eyes and making sure his steps didn’t crunch the leaves under him. He kept his breathing quiet and steady, although his heart was beating like a drum.

He crouched his way behind the bush and stood still, getting into a position where he could spring at any time. His small tail wagged in the air, since it wouldn’t cause any commotion. 

He dug his claws into the earth under his paws. “This is going to be easy.” 

The bushes he was using for hiding shook with the wind, sending his scent towards the cow. Luckily, the it was to entertained with its meal that it ignored Jerome. 

His eyes focused on the prey, waiting for the perfect time to strike. If he did this correctly, he would be able to take a big catch home. He grinned at the idea.

The cow suddenly raised its head, looking around as it moo’ed.

“Dumb animal. I’m right behind it!” He laughed inside his head, starting to creep closer to his prey. 

Just as it was about to run away, the Bacca leaped over the shrub and pinned it down, flexing his claws against its neck and grinning when it let out a cry of pain and the blood gushed from its wound. He flashed his other claws against its side, just to be sure it was a goner.

It fell dead, much to Jerome’s content. He stood up on his back legs and admired his kill, flashing a toothy grin at his father, who was starting to walk over to him.

“Well done, kiddo!” the grown Bacca patted his son’s back and ruffled the hair tuft on his furry head, to which Jerome replied with a wag of his tail and twitching ears.

“Wait until we get home and you show your brother!”

“Can’t wait!!” he squeaked in excitement, starting to pull the huge cow by grabbing its tail in his jaw. 

His father chuckled and picked up the cow himself, but Jerome protested by trying to nab it again in his teeth.

“I can handle it!” He pouted and frowned at the older Bacca.

His father rolled his eyes and handed him the cow again, watching as Jerome’s eyes lit up.

“Home’s not far from here. C’mon.”

The tiny Bacca nodded and started pulling again, but with more strength this time. His father walked next to him, looking around for any danger.

When the trek was done, Jerome and his father came upon a huge forest with thick trees and lots of leaves on both the branches and the floor. It didn’t take long for them to spot a tree house up in a particularly large tree. It was made of the same wood as the bark, thus hiding it pretty well. Vines dangled from the edges of the house and twisted around the poles that the ladders were made off.

The duo made their way up the ladder, Jerome going first and starting to truly struggle with the weight of the cow. He managed it, though, and lifted himself and his catch unto the front of his house and pushed the door open, running inside with his father trailing behind.