Chapter 1: Deadly Bite

“Mom, I’m back!” the young boy called from the porch of the wooden cottage, his honey amber eyes looking up at the door. In his hand he was gripping a wooden sword and he had a backpack slung over his shoulder.

“Coming!” His mother answered, followed by the hurried steps of her feet that made the floor creak. 

The boy waited, his hair a tangled mess that stood on all kinds of places. His face was covered in dust and mud and his clothes were no different. But he seemed to pay no mind to them, as his bright smile proved. 

Eventually, a woman pulled open the door, revealing the inside of the small house. The woman was wearing a gray shirt with light blue streaks and jeans with black rubber boots, and her hair light brown was combed into a ponytail. She smiled back at her son, stroking his filthy hair in affection while pulling put some leaves stuck in it.

“You had a busy day, huh?” she chuckled.

“You bet!” the brunette’s voice was filled with excitement. “I chased down a rabbit after I couldn’t snipe it, and I managed to get it!” He reached into his bag and pulled out a rabbit that had been killed with the cut of a knife. 

“I washed it and the rest of the prey in the stream, like you told me to!” He grinned with pride.

His mother smiled, “Good job! Now we won’t have it stinking up the place.” She examined his tattered clothes and shook her head with an eye roll. “You’ll have to take a bath later.” She put a hand on his shoulder and walked into the cottage with him.

The boy gave grunt of protest, “But I want to go and play more!”

“Mitch, you can play tomorrow. For now, you should change into something that isn’t smeared with mud and leaves and see if you have any bites or scratches that could get infected.” She closed the door behind them.

Mitch pouted and crossed his arms. “Fiiiine. But I get extra time, after I finish hunting!”

His mother sighed and took the bag from her son’s shoulders. It was heavy,but not much so that it would wear out Mitch’s shoulders. 

She walked towards the small kitchen area on the right side of the room and started to empty the bag, letting the porkchops and pieces of beef lay in their corresponding containers.

Mitch walked over to the kitchen table and sat down on one of the chairs, taking off his hoodie and throwing it aside. Unlike other days, he had been wearing a short-sleeved shirt. His mother would always tell him to check if he had no infected injuries from the animals, for they could be dangerous, so he had to look at his bare skin to be sure there was no damage done.

He scanned his arm from top to bottom and side to side, only managing to see very minimal scratches from thorns that managed to slip into his hoodie’s sleeve. As far as what he was told, there were no poisonous plants around, so those scratches were nothing to fuzz about.

He searched his other arm for any bites, and found nothing more than a mosquito sting. 

Relieved, Mitch laid against the back of the wooden chair and sighed, watching his mother work. Even though the procedure was done every time he went hunting and came back, it made him nervous. It was probably one of the only things who made him feel that way. He knew the severe effects that they could have on someone, like his-

The thought struck him suddenly and he leapt off the chair.

“Is Dad okay?” his voice was full of worry and his eyes reflected it.

His mother stopped her work and sighed, turning towards her son with dread. “He’s fine.. Just asleep. He’s no better than yesterday, but he’s alive..” She bit her lip.