Phil's Prologue

A/N: some of the chapters will switch between Dan and Phil, Dan's chapters showing his feelings and Phil's showing his feelings. I might make *special* chapters in PJ's view or Chris's. I haven't decided yet.
-Kat xx

Phil laid, half asleep, in his cage, just like every other day. Phil was like a misfit, even within the hybrid shop. But Phil only had another few months or so then he'd be for sale. Of course, being for sale was dangerous and scary, because you don't know who will want you. Or what they want you for. Being in a back room sucks because you're stuck in a cage. Until your 'viewing' at least, unless someone is willing to pay a load of money. A viewing is held on the night before the hybrid's sixteenth birthday, and anyone can come. Most hybrids are sold after their viewing at the auction but those who aren't are put in the main cages at the front of the shop.

Phil was scared because he was different. And being different was never a good thing. That's what Phil had been taught. Being a hybrid and being different meant you were either never going to be sold, or were going to be sold right away. Phil was glad he was born now and not before when being a hybrid was worse. Back then hybrids were rare, and their only use was sex toys. Now, hybrids are common house pets, sometimes they're used for sex, but now it was more common to have them, and people treated them better. But Phil never really knew what sex was, he just heard other hybrids talking. Phil was also one of the rarest hybrids because he couldn't speak. He could only meow, and purr, and hiss. The only way Phil would ever be taught to speak is by someone that would be patient enough to teach him. Phil hated being a hybrid. Especially the type of hybrid he was. The special hybrid. No whiskers, no fur. Just ears, a tail, his 'emo' fringe, and sharp, almost claw-like nails. And because Phil had no fur, he was always cold, and always sick. The shop wouldn't buy him clothes or blankets except for simple black boxers. He sat alone in his cage. Everyday. Sometimes he didn't eat because he was too occupied by his thoughts. His thoughts were strange and different from other hybrids. He thought about everything he could imagine, about things that might not even exist, and things he didn't have a name for. But that's how Phil had always been. Different. Strange. Separated. Misfit.

Sometimes it bothered Phil, but he was one of the oldest now, and no one tormented him because of it. They were afraid of him, even though he never left his cage. All the other hybrids left their cages to eat, to play, to do whatever, but Phil didn't. Now the owner just kept his cage locked and made sure Phil was fed while the others were outside playing. Phil sometimes missed the sunshine and the grass and the flowers but it wasn't worth leaving his cage for. Today he hoped to be sold. That's what he hoped for everyday.

To be sold.

To be bought.

To be loved.

But being a hybrid and being loved was not a good mix, and the probability was low.

But Phil lived off hope. Even if there was no hope, Phil would find some. That's just how it is when you're alone.

Phil laid curled up in his cage like any other day when the door to the back room was unlocked. All the hybrids lined up, except Phil, who just pulled his legs into his chest and turned his face into the back of the cage more. Yet the man still leaned in front of Phil's cage.

"His name is Phil," Phil involuntarily whimpered and scooted impossibly closer to the back of his cage. The man unlocked Phil's cage and handed the keys back the owner. Phil clutched at the back of the cage when the man looked back at him with a sweet look on his face.

"Awe, baby, come here. I won't hurt you," Dan cooed at him. Phil simply meowed. Phil loosened his grip a little and started to untense.

"Come here," Dan reached toward Phil, "I'm not going to hurt you."

Phil left the cage sooner than the owner assumed he would and was actually purring. Phil ignored the rest of what was exchanged between the men but did learn that the one who bought him had the surname of Howell. The next thing Phil knew he had an arm around his waist and he was out the door. Once he was in back seat of the car he curled up on Mr. Howell's chest.

"So, how did it go?" Phil heard a voice ask.

"Well, I found one, but he's fifteen and I had to pay one million for him." Mr. Howell replied.

"Jesus Christ! Dan! Are you insane?!" The driver quickly hit the brakes and Phil accidentally dug his nails into Dan.

"Phil! Fucking Hell!" Dan ran his hand up and down Phil's back after carefully pulling Phil's nails from his shirt.

"What did he do?" The mysterious voice asked from the front of the car.

"He clawed me on accident because you don't know how to drive for shit!" Dan could tell he scared Phil and started to whisper calming things into Phil's ear.

"Well I'm sorry that some old bitch drove in front of me!"

"Shut up and drive, Chris," Dan continued to whisper in Phil's ear and eventually Phil fell asleep, purring, on top of Dan.