WOW! X Chapter 14

Start from the beginning

I just needed a bath and a chance to compose myself then I could face everyone. Ok maybe I was being a little overdramatic but I really, really just needed a time out. Time to regroup, focus!

What I really wanted to do was hop on a flight to France and hide!

That was it! That is exactly where I needed to be... I needed to be with my friend Hayley, at her vine yard in France just sitting in the dusty courtyard with a glass of wine, surrounded by the countryside and spilling my guts out to her.

My parents were a bit worried about my plan to go to Hayley's on my own but I explained that I just needed to chill out and once I phoned Hayley she was ecstatic I was coming to see her. I booked the next flight and went to grab a few things. My dad would drop me to the airport. I felt ever fibre of my being couldn't get away fast enough. Since the night of that party my life had been turned upside down and I needed to step outside of it and think about what I really wanted without the pressure of everyone around me.

Johnny and Freddie had tidied my room and changed the bedding. Thank god, the last thing I wanted right now was to smell him. It was bad enough being in the room... I was being a total nasty bitch and I knew it. I knew it would hurt him to find out I had left the hospital. I knew it would hurt him to know I had woken up again when he wasn't there and this time I had left. After I promised him here in this room, right there on the end of the bed that he hadn't lost me and I wasn't going anywhere. Yet here I was running. He deserved better than that, he deserved better than me and he deserved an explanation.

I picked up my phone and took the cowards was out. I text.

Text:

Shane. Thank you for taking me the hospital and looking after me. I really do appreciate it. I'm sorry I've been such a nuisance. I have signed myself out of hospital because I need sometime on my own. I have gone away for a while to stay with friends until I sort my head out. I hope you can understand. I'm sorry for running out on you again. Stacey.

I pressed send and grabbed my bag. Scrawled a note to Freddie and Johnny and left it on the side.

As the car pulled away I slouched down in the back, scared that he might turn up or see me. I knew if I saw him I wouldn't be able to go and I needed to get away.

I sat in the airport, waiting on my flight. My heart felt like it was being squeezed. I kept looking around praying that he wouldn't turn up to stop me.

Finally as the plane took off I felt a wave of relief wash over me and the tension in my body was left on the tarmac. I felt so much lighter, like I'd accomplished something. I wondered if Sandy had felt like this when she has left Gary behind all those years ago.

Ten minutes into the flight I received his text.

Text:

Thanks for letting me know. I assume you don't want me to talk to me or tell where you going, as you didn't call or wait to say goodbye. I don't blame you and for the record you've never been a nuisance. This is all my fault and I'm more sorry than words can say. I promise to leave you alone. I hope you feel better soon. Safe Journey. X

I sat there reading it over and over. Everytime I read it my crazy mind felt a different undertone. Was he angry with me... we're we now officially split up... he was happy to get rid of me... so I gave up trying to think of a reply with my mind in its present state and turned my phone off.

Hayley was waiting with her husband Chris and two kids at the airport. She ran and hugged me like the end scene from 'Love Actually'. I choked back the tears as there was to be no more of them.