Prologue

Blindness is just another name for vulnerability. I suppose at first I benefited from the darkness that engulfed my vision, but soon enough my father took advantage of my defenselessness. Though, that wouldn't be a huge surprise to most people, considering most families had a parent with commitment issues. It was a month since my mother had disappeared and ever since then Becky, my father's love affair, and I have taken on my father's brutality. Becky- she's a lovely lady, and as far as I've heard, she's beautiful with smooth, moon-kissed skin and smells like freshly rained meadows. On good days, that's all that father would ever care to brag about.

She's a wonderful woman; the worst of liars couldn't deny that. But as years and months drifted by, I realized that the woman who gives birth to you is closer to the target in your heart than anyone else in the world. I could never think of anyone taking my biological mother's spot. And besides, I didn't understand what Becky saw in my father. I mean, he is a business man with his high standards and riches but, knowing that he is hysteric, she should be packing her bags by now. She doesn't have the guts though, nor is she brave enough to call the cops on him. I would do it myself if I didn't miss the numbers every time I tried.

Despite my complaints and rejection towards her, I must admit, Becky takes care of me. She always enjoys saying that I was destined to be her child and she truly does treat me as one. She brings me anything I ask for. She dolls me up whenever I mention there was a special occasion at school. If I knew she wasn't human- with two arms, two legs, a body and a pretty face- I would have imagine her as a dog. Soft, tender and chatty. She is just . . . lovely, but she can never restore what my real mother gave me.

It was mid October. I remember the day much more vividly than the first time I tried chocolate. I was at home that evening, unaccompanied in my house. I waited for Becky who mentioned a girl's night out earlier that week. Considering I was nearly a responsible adult, meaning I was still in my mid-teens, she had no hesitation in leaving alone. I knew how to maneuver myself around independently anyways. I listened to the television run on and on as I rested on the settee.

"Yet again, the local department has encountered another dead cow found hanging from the ceiling of a farm cabin." Ryan Delarosa explained. This wasn't the usual news you'd hear from our little town. Usually there would be robbery involved but no one would get hurt. This newsflash was peculiar. In fact the body lacked of a head, Delarosa clarified. "And now for traffic updates,"

Although it was quite an unsettling news, alertness did not prick me. I convinced myself the scene had happened a little further away from the outskirts of town, so I didn't feel the urge to lock doors and windows as Becky would have. And to put it lightly, a murdered cow seemed to be the only compelling news I'd heard the entire month, aside from the first case.

A shiver spiraled down my neck, however, at the unexpected sounds of pots and pans clashing to the ground. 'Oh, it must be that rotten cat again, isn't it?'  With my brows knitted into a frown, I reached for my walking stick, glancing in the general direction of the ear-splitting noise.

"Julius. I swear to you, if I hear you trotting around the house again, I'll tell old lady Marvus. Where the hell are you, anyways?" I called out into the room, feeling strangely out of place. It was not that I was frightened. In fact, being blind helped overcome these sort of situations. You come to be passive of most things you feel and hear. Though, what made me feel concerned was the sensation of something larger than the Sphynx.

Leisurely towing myself to my feet, I attempted to sharpen my hearing to the best of my ability. I could hear the front closet open in the front lobby. The house was not too large, so it wasn't hard to pick up noises.