The gentle touches of his king made him lose his breath. He had been treated way more intimately before, but never this gently. Kyungsoo was scared. He was afraid of getting used to this kind of treatment, to live under the illusion that he deserved better. He was not used to feeling worthy.

Kyungsoo felt as though his heart was going to explode when King Jongin removed his hands. He thought that his king would finally go back to his merciless self and give him the assurance of where he belonged, but confusion once again filled him up.

King Jongin, almost tenderly, said, "You may go. Have a rest. I don't need you tonight."

Kyungsoo was perplexed. He had prepared himself for anything that might come, but never for something like this. The boy's body stiffened to digest his king's command. He gasped. He was wasting the valuable time of his king. Hurriedly getting onto his knees, he asked for the permission to retreat. In haste, he did not realize that the book he kept under his robe had slipped out and fell.

King Jongin quirked an eyebrow. He walked toward the book. "Wait," he commanded.

With a sharp intake of breathing Kyungsoo quickly turned around and gave his king a deep bow, restlessly waiting for any further order. He dared not to look at his king, and so he kept his eyes on the floor.

Kyungsoo's breath hitched as he saw the book which was previously well-hidden, was now in King Jongin's hold.

King Jongin studied the book in his hand. The book was made with the finest paper, leather bound. He frowned. It must have cost a fortune. He wondered how a palace servant could possibly have a possession of such an expensive book. He kept the curiousity to himself for he had another thing that irked his mind. "A scripture?"

Nervousness washed through Kyungsoo. He took a fleeting look toward his king and quickly threw his eyes away, biting his trembling lips. "P-poetry, Your Majesty."

"Yours? Look at me."

"Y-yes, Your Majesty." Kyungsoo's answer was filled with hesitation, and that didn't go unnoticed by King Jongin.

Kyungsoo raised his head and pushed himself to look at the stern gaze he knew would be greeting him. He was transfixed. His eyes met an unreadable gaze, the look he had only seen once before. The eyes holding him captivated Kyungsoo, luring the boy to unconsciously whisper out a piece of him.

"I like to read, Your Majesty."

It seemed as if the boy was unsure with his own answer related to the book he claimed as his, but King Jongin decided not to push the matter further. The fact that he had just learned a new thing about the boy had intrigued him. It surprised him to find out that the boy actually had something he liked. The realization was eating his heart out; the boy was indeed... a human being.

King Jongin walked toward Kyungsoo, ensuring their eye contact. He grasped the boy's small hand, palm up.

Kyungsoo broke their eye contact, his eyes widened to see the book that was pressed against his palm.

"You have my permission to visit the royal library, including my private one."

Overwhelmed by his king's sudden generosity, Kyungsoo's eyes broadened in surprise. Before his lips managed to produce a reply, King Jongin had released his hand and went on, "Now you can go."

Kyungsoo raised his head, encouraging himself to meet the gaze of his king. He tried to express his gratitude, but words were stucked in his throat and left unsaid. Realizing that he would not be able to say anything, the boy bowed before his king, holding his head low longer than he usually did.

Kyungsoo quietly left the room, hands firmly clutched the book over his chest.

***

These past few days Kyungsoo had been greatly occupied by the preparation of the upcoming celebration upon the successful attack against the North. Generals, high-rank officials, royal ministers, and governors of states would be joining the celebration, he was told. Everyone was busy, but Kyungsoo knew the kitchen-aid servants would be the busiest; they had to prepare various kinds of foods and beverages for hundreds of guests in less than a week. Kyungsoo wondered if they had the luxury to sleep at all, as even without any extravagant event there had been so many works to do.

Kyungsoo did not just sit around with hands on his lap; he had joined the palace servants and immersed himself in the works he was assigned to. The royal palace should be in its most presentable shape, especially the courtyard, where the celebration would be taken place.

After days of preparation, finally the big event was coming. Kyungsoo was in awe to see countless of people entering the palace. There were dozens of music players and beautiful dancers busily preparing themselves for their performances. Various instruments were being prepared; gongs, sitars, flutes, lutes, and bells. Wearing their flashy red uniforms, the performers all looked vibrant and gorgeous. Kyungsoo wondered how mesmerizing the celebration would be, for he thought he would not be a part of the festivities since he was not a palace servant.

He had thought wrong. The Royal Household Advisor told him that he was not excluded from the task of serving the guests. A palace servant gave him a similar red uniform he wore, telling him that Kyungsoo too should do the work; a task which he took in blithesome. It had been so long since the last time he saw a musical performance, and now, the very best people in the field would be playing before his eyes.

Dozens of people began to fill the courtyard, and Kyungsoo was engulfed in the midst of the celebration. They had wines and foods ready to be served. Music players and beautiful dancers had already lined up, waiting for their turns to perform their best. All were expecting for the most important person in the kingdom.

"All hail His Majesty," a guard announced King Jongin's arrival. Everyone in the courtyard dropped on their knees in unison and kept their eyes low to the ground, waiting for the permission to rise.

King Jongin walked to his throne. A dominant aura was emanated from him; anyone could tell that he was most important person in the room, the very one who held the power to decide their lives and deaths. The king seated on his throne and ran his gaze around authoritatively.

"Rise," he commanded.

Everyone rose in the similar unison, keeping their head bowed.

"Today we celebrate our victory. Once again we have proven that nothing could defeat us. Winning after winning have been blessed to us by Heaven. We shall expect our kingdom to be stronger and larger, because we have Heaven and Gods by our side. Generous rewards have been prepared for General Choi and his valuable troops that have provided us the win, thus by that they have proven their allegiance.

"Now we shall waste no time, let the celebration begin," King Jongin ordered, giving the cue for the music to be played.

As if the restrain was being lifted off, the sound was amplified in instant. Foods and the finest wine were being served right away, brightening up the atmosphere. Strains of magical music coming from the flutes, drums, and string instruments began to fill up the spacious place. Kyungsoo went around, carrying a tray of treats to serve the guests. He came back and forth between the kitchen and courtyard, delivering more foods and wine. He managed to have a look every now and then, to see the best performance in the kingdom.

"Go get more wine," a palace servant ordered him in a rush. She was coming from the kitchen, hurriedly having her way toward the guests.

Kyungsoo nodded. Walking outside in haste, he left the festivities. Soon he was surrounded by a complete silent. Kyungsoo chose to take a small path, which was the shortest way to reach the kitchen. He had not gone too far before something grasped his arm painfully tight, pressing his body against a tree. Kyungsoo squeaked, his face grimaced in pain.

"So this is the place where you have been hiding yourself. Smart," someone whispered, breathing in his ear. Kyungsoo breathed sharply. The voice was too familiar; it brought him back his worst nightmare.

"M-minho-ssi."