chapter 9

"Your Majesty, our trusty spies have reported some suspicious activities in one of our conquered states, the Buyeo region in Manchuria," Advisor Im gave his report.

King Jongin narrowed his eyes at the advisor, knowing whose region it belonged. "I have not gotten any report from General Lee about the matter," he uttered in discontent, referring to General Lee Sunghwan who was honored with the land.

"General Lee is the one who is being suspected of plotting a revolt, Your Majesty," the advisor carefully explained, hesitantly, as he knew that the general was one of only a few his king cherished. To accuse the latter plotting rebellion against the kingdom could cause him losing his head.

King Jongin was greatly afflicted by the report, but the indifferent visage he wore managed to hide his inner distress; his face was as cold and his composure remained the same. He subtlety clenched his fists to calm his twitching hands.

"Are you sure? To conduct a false accusation is worthy of death of many people. Including you." King Jongin's stern eyes watched the frightened advisor.

"You should have a legitimate reason. General Lee is a respected general; he has brought so many winnings to our kingdom and won the respect of his troops. Please explain, Advisor Im."

One of the generals remarked cautiously to lighten the atmosphere. He was one of a very few people who was trusted enough to attend the important meeting; there were only two other generals and the advisor, and without King Jongin's summon, no one else could enter the room. King Jongin had cleared out the central chamber, and all his personal guards had been ordered to preserve a sufficient length away from the Discussion Hall.

"I dare not to bring up the matter without sufficient prove, Royal General Kim." The advisor gave the general a thankful nod. "Our spies have watched General Lee's movements these past three months. During the time he was reported to hold three meetings with a Qing messenger. We suspect that Qing is trying to make a safe passage to our territory through Manchuria; if they succeeded, our kingdom will be in great misfortune." Advisor Im carefully chose his words, as he did not wish to elicit his king's rage.

"Make it sure, then. Give me the report fast. Take as many of our men as you wish, but keep in mind; a failure will put you to death," King Jongin declaimed coldly.

"General Cho, bring your men to keep an eye on General Lee and his family. No one shall escape. I would not grant any mercy if this is proven right," he ordered.

"What about his troops, Your Majesty?"

"Those who plead their loyalty to our kingdom should be treated generously. They must prove their allegiance to me by capturing those who choose to rebel."

"I understand, Your Majesty."

"All of you but General Kim may go."

The rest of them retreated, leaving only King Jongin and General Kim inside the room.

***

"Are you sure about your decision?" General Kim asked King Jongin, dropping the formalities since there were only the two of them in the meeting room.

"About what?" King Jongin replied nonchalantly.

"You know what I'm talking about. Please do not avoid my question." General Kim raised his head to look at King Jongin, his eyebrows were drawn together in a concern frown.

"About what, Royal General Kim?" King Jongin emphasized the general's formal title, staring back at the man with a piercing gaze.

General Kim sighed. He turned down his tone. "General Lee has served the kingdom for so many years. He and his troops quelled two provinces that had revolted. He was too, a dear friend of your father. They had fought bravely together in many wars. Would you really not spare his life? At least his family?"