Unforgivable actions

Jade greeted people she had never met in her life before, accepting their condolences. She had to push herself to smile to these people and be kind to them. It annoyed her that people who weren't even close to her father dared to pretend that they were hurting, that they were lost without him. She would have been happier if it was only her and her mom sitting on the couch, talking about him and honoring his memory the best they could. She would have stayed, comforted her mother. But unfortunately Camilla had different needs. Camilla wanted unknown people around her, accepting their pity. She only felt better about herself when fake people gave her their fake sympathy.
Sighing Jade excused herself, needing another glass of wine. Heading to the kitchen, Jade stopped midway when she noticed how upset Mark looked while he talked to a guy wearing a nice suit. She didn't recognize the guy in the nice suit mainly because his back was turned to her. She stepped closer and caught part of their conversation.

"I told you to stay away from her from now on." Mark told the guy.

He was too upset to actually notice her, but as she stepped closer and closer her heels gave her away. Mark stepped around the guy and met her halfway. She wasn't going to ignore the guy he was talking to though. She glanced around her husband and frowned when the guy turned around, revealing to her that it was Scott who Mark was threatening.

"Something wrong, guys?" She asked quietly, her eyes flickering back to her husband.

Mark wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her to his side, "No, we were just talking. Scott was just leaving." Jade noticed the look which the guys exchanged, it wasn't good, "Right?"

Scott pulled himself together quite fast and stepped closer to them, placing his hand on her shoulder, "Let me know if you need anything. I'm here for you and your mother."

She smiled, "Thank you."

Scott flashed a glare to his friend and then left. Once he was out of hearing range she stepped away from her husband and crossed her arms.

"What was that all about?"

"Nothing for you to worry about." He spoke quietly, "Did you eat something?" He asked her, "You had two glasses of wine, it's best if you eat something. Even if it's something light." He gently brushed his knuckles over her cheek and pulled away, "I'll grab you something."

Mark didn't want to talk about his friend, but she knew their heated conversation was about her. There was no one else in her husband's life right now he'd get so upset over. Reaching for him, she tightly held onto his wrist, trying to keep him with her.

"Please, don't lie to me." She lowered her voice even more, "Not right now." She inhaled deeply, trying to force back the tears which threatened to fall, "You're the one thing that's real here. I can't deal with it if you'll turn into them."

He spun around fast and wrapped her up in his arms, holding her so close her head was pressed against his chest while he gently patted her hair.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to lie to you." He inhaled deeply, "So don't ask me again."

"You want me to pretend I didn't hear any of that?"

She tried to pull away but Mark wouldn't let her, "Jade."

Sighing she placed her hands against his chest and gave him a shove with all her might. Free from his arms she flicked her hair back and walked past him. Not telling her the truth was just as painful as him lying to her. If anything him keeping quiet about something which was obviously about her, felt like Mark lying to her. Keeping her in the dark, just like most people he didn't care about in his life. Knowing that hurt so much it felt like her heart was breaking.
She headed to the kitchen just like she planned to before she noticed Mark and Scott having an argument. Grabbing a new bottle of wine Jade poured herself a generous glass. She gulped it down like it was water, receiving a deadly look from her husband as he approached her. He stood next to her, glaring down at her, the heath in his eyes never wavering.