Real marriage

Jade liked to pretend that her life was going to stay completely the same. But when she woke up the next morning she was greeted by her mother's big grin while she walked into the bedroom with a tray filled with breakfast treats. It was terrifying, really. She liked to think her mother had been the best mother ever as she was growing up, but she knew better. Her mother always had been busy with other things, things she thought were more important. Like having tea with her so called friends and going to meetings of all the charity causes she supported. Not once did she bring her breakfast in bed. Instead of waiting for her mother to approach her, Jade rolled out of bed and reached for her robe on the empty one-seat, quickly wrapping it around her.

"Mom, what's going on?"

"Thought I'd treat you to something nice to celebrate your engagement."

Jade forced a smile upon her face, "Mom, we already celebrated my engagement last night."

Walking into her bathroom Jade did her morning routine, brushing her teeth and taking a shower. She heard her mother move around in her bedroom as she was drying off and slipping back into her robe. Pulling her hair up she pinned it in a messy bun on top of her head and stepped out of the bathroom.

"Jade, eat up. Breakfast is getting cold." Her mother pointed to the one-seat, "I've laid out your clothes for today. To save you some time."

She knew not a lot of people would appreciate it, but she knew her mother had a sense of fashion. And she purposely didn't buy pieces of clothing which would make her look like she was wearing a Sunday outfit. She only had her PJ's which consisted out of joggers and tees most of the time. So not even a four-year-old could mess up an outfit when they were going through her closet.

"Thanks, mom, I appreciate it."

She smiled, "Don't be silly. I have all the time in the world now."

Jade grabbed clean underwear from her closet, reached for her outfit which her mother laid out on the one-seat and walked back inside the bathroom. She left the door ajar so she could continue her conversation with her mother. She knew her mother wanted to talk, get things off her chest.

"Mom, you're doing a lot of charity work, right?"

"Most of them told me it was better if I resigned for the time being. They don't like to be associated with Arthur, you know."

She could imagine why people were reluctant to let her mother help their charity. It was a PR thing and she got that. But it also meant that her mother indeed had a lot more time on her hands now. Her apartment wasn't big enough to entertain her mother for a long period of time.

"I don't know what to say mom."

"Since I have a lot more time on my hands I thought I could focus on organizing your wedding instead."

Jade nearly tripped over her own feet as she slipped into her pale blue pencil skirt, "W-What?"

"Well, I'm assuming neither you or Mark are paying much attention to planning a wedding."

Jade slipped into her short sleeved white blouse and straightened her outfit, checking in the mirror to see if everything was in place. Once she was pleased with how she looked, she slipped her robe back on and tied it around the waist, heading out in the bedroom again.

"Mom, Mark and I haven't discussed the wedding yet."

Jade took a seat on the bed and started with breakfast. She had a little over an hour thanks to her mother. She really did appreciate it, it was the first time she actually felt like her mother did a genuine thing. Something she always wanted to remember.