Closer

It was now Thursday and I thought I was going to die of boredom. In History, Carli had to keep nudging me so I wouldn't fall asleep. All throughout English, I just stared at Dalton. Partly zoning, partly staring. Study Hall I actually did fall asleep, but luckily Mr. Reed didn't care. I had no homework. A very cold hand on my back woke me up. "Vanessa, the bell rang. It's time to go." I look behind my shoulder to see Dalton waking me. I groan and grab my stuff, heading to lunch. "Your hands are freezing." I said. "I get that a lot." He smiles.

"What's for lunch today?" I asked a girl in front of me in line. "Manwiches." She replies. I grab some fries and a chocolate milk before heading to my usual table. "V!" Someone calls. V is my nickname, but usually only Carli calls me that. I glance up and see Dalton motioning me to the table he's sitting alone at. "You want me to sit with you?" I ask. "Sure. Sit." He points to the seat across front him. Some girls at the table next to us stare at me. "They're looking at me." I whisper. "So?" He whispers back. "Now they're whispering!" Dalton looks at them, and they stop. All of them wave simultaneously at him, then glare at me. "Oo, they don't like you!" Dalton snickers. "Why are you laughing?" I ask. "Because those are the popular girls." "And they're what? Jealous?" He nods. "Ok. The world has officially spun off it's axis." I said, and Dalton laughs. "You're funny. Cookie?" He offers me his cookie. "Sure." I take it from him. "Thanks." I said, biting into it.

"So, how about your family? What are they like?" I asked. "Um.... I have two brothers. More like step brothers. Zaiden and Ruben. They're fun. And my parents...." He fades, then looks at me. "I think you'll like my brothers. Especially Ruben. I should introduce you." "Whoa! You want to introduce me to your family?" I ask. He shrugs. "Sure. What? Do we have to be dating for you to meet them?" He smiles a half smile. I shake my head. "No, I guess not." I take another bite of my cookie. "This is really good." I say, and Dalton smiles. I've been seeing his smile a lot lately. It made me glad. His smile was gorgeous. "How's your arm?" I jump as his cold hand lifts my sleeve up so he can see where I was bitten. "It still kind of hurts, but I'd say it's getting better." He nods. "Good." I run my tongue over my teeth to clean them free of any cookie remains. "Ow!" I say when I cut my tongue on my teeth. "What's wrong?" Dalton asks. "My teeth feel sharper. I cut my tongue!" I say, holding it. "Sharper....?" Dalton's eyes fill with horror as he stares. "What's wrong?" I asked. "N-nothing." He stutters. Then his face lightens. "Do you want to meet my brothers after school?" He asks. "Sure. Do they go here?" He shakes his head. "No. They go to a private school." He rolls his eyes. "They really should get expelled everyday from all the pranks they pull." I laugh. "So we'll walk to your place together?" I asked. "Yes." Dalton answers. "Ok, I'll let my brother know." I smile at him, and he smiles at me.

I can honestly tell we're getting closer. I was about to meet his family.