Chapter Forty-Six

Start from the beginning

“So your dad thinks he can help her?”

“He's trying. Dani is a special case. With her drug history, we're limited in what she can take, so it's just a case of trial and error I think.”

“Ok. Well, at least there's something positive. You need to brief Cain before he steps into the interview room.”

“On it. I'm heading there after we've finished. What's on the agenda for today?”

“You sure you're ok to be out in the field?”

“Yes sir. I need to work.”

“Ok. We've got a routine security detail and the baseball field needs to be checked over again. There's a game this evening, so it needs to be cleared by 5pm.”

“Got it. Any threats that we're aware of?”

“Not as yet. The guys need some training though. Target practice as well.”

“Sure thing.”

I run into Cain on the way out of the Cap's office, so I take him to the briefing room. We both grab a cup of coffee on the way through. We're silent for a minute or two, probably thinking about the last time we were in here. The tables sure have turned. I shake those thoughts away because I can't afford to get angry with Cain now. He's trying to help me out and I have to remember that instead.

“Ok, so you're going to go in there making out you're on his side, right?”

“Yes sir. I think I'll play the card that you guys wronged me and put me into rehab, made my life a misery and I don't want you to do the same to him. I'll see if that sparks his interest. Am I supposed to mention the video?”

I think for a few seconds before I say, “Play that one by ear. If it seems like he's not biting, or if he lays the blame solely on Dani, then mention it. See if that changes his mind. If he takes your help in the first place, don't say anything. He hasn't asked for an attorney, so I'm guessing he thinks he can represent himself and scare Dani into saying whatever he wants.”

“That's not going to happen. I can promise you that.”

That does make me smile. His loyalty to myself and my team is still strong.

“Eli, I know I was wrong. I freely admit that now. I wasn't myself and if I had caught myself doing that I'd have hurt me way worse than you did. I just want to try to make up for my wrongs.”

“Thank you. Let's just get this piece of trash to flip, yeah?”

“Yes sir. Ash is bringing him up soon. I don't want him to see that you've been talking to me.”

“No, of course not. You should walk in at the same time probably. It'll make it look like you've just arrived.”

I hate how we have to pander to Paul. It's not right. He's the one who is in the wrong, but we have to play the game if we want to prevent a court case.

Cain leaves the briefing room before me and I just sit for a minute, drinking my coffee. I keep wondering if Dani is ok and I fight the urge to call her to check. I mutter to myself, “She'll be fine. You know she won't open the door or answer the phone, so she'll be just fine. Stop worrying you pansy.”

Ash appears in the doorway, “Yeah, stop being a pansy...”

He shoots me a dazzling smile and chuckles at my expression. “Dude, your face is a picture right now. What's going on?”

“The Cap wants us to train and do target practice but I want to watch the interview...”

“You sure that's a good idea? I mean, you don't need to be getting all riled up again and you really don't need to be bursting in there. That'll ruin everything.”