"Are you asking me to show my mercy to the person who has committed a great wrong? You of all people should know the pain of having traitors among us, General Kim. Haven't you suffered enough? Has not the cold stone of your father's grave given you a valuable lesson? You. Hiding our relation will not erase the fact that we are connected by blood." King Jongin's voice rose. He breathed sharply, looking at the man in front of him. "Won't it share the misery as well?" His voice weakened.

The general went silent. The glint of pain in the eyes staring fixedly at him had made him mute. The surge of emotion disappeared as fast as greased lightning, replaced by cold, soulless stares. He knew their conversation would come to an end without him being able to change King Jongin's mind. The silence between them grew thicker.

"Any display of kindness and virtue will bring us nowhere. I have learned my valuable lesson and I suggest you should too. I will be damned if I fall for the same mistake. Never in my life should I put my trust in anyone but myself."

King Jongin clenched his jaw, tightening his grip on the fists.

"Compassion is a weakness which can easily be attacked. Yet here I am giving mine; I shall allow General Lee to end his life in dignity."

General Kim breathed out heavily. "Will you at least carefully go through the evidence before you come up with a decision?"

"Haven't you known me long enough?

"I will not settle a decision based on a single report. You do not need to know my resources to confirm its authenticity. I have my own way. Just keep in mind; my generosity will only be blessed for those who deserve it."

King Jongin looked at the general sternly, out dared the latter to deny his statement. "And any rebellion against me and my kingdom shall be greatly punished."

General Kim returned King Jongin's gaze with a defeated sigh, shaking his head slightly. He knew that he could do nothing more at this point.

"You must be tired. You need to trust someone at a point," he said softly.

"I cannot afford to be tired," King Jongin replied firmly, dismissed the empathy.

"Do you have anything else to convey, General Kim?"

"No, Your Majesty." The general bowed his head formally, knowing that King Jongin had formed a thick wall between them.

"You may go, then."

***

King Jongin remained seated on his seat, leaning on a small table by his side. Now that he was alone, he could be himself again. He tilted his head to rest against the back of his seat, putting his shaky hands over his lap.

"Why, Uncle Lee?" He murmured. "Haven't I given you enough?"

King Jongin rubbed the back of his neck in frustration. He felt his energy was draining away. One of the very few people he valued turned out giving him another disappointment. The one he actually cared dearly.

He read the report Advisor Im gave him. He knew there was no mistake. A courtesan. The reason lured the man into betraying. Uncle Lee had given up to his weakness, to the only thing that could possibly trap him; women. His shaky hands put the scroll back to the table. He rested his elbows on the table, head on his hands.

King Jongin had known the general's liking of beautiful women for many years. He was not able to suppress his curiosity when he was old enough to understand the meaning of sexual desire. He was fifteen back then, still very young and naive. He got many things to ask that could not be brought to Royal Father, as his father had already carried so many things on his plate. It was natural that he eventually had gotten closer to the person he met nearly every day. General Lee Sunghwan. Uncle Lee.