(19) Day 21-22. A Note

I walked to my window and opened it. I then carefully set his jacket and shoes outside on the soft, cool ground. That way Poe would know my window was shutting for good. Statura had freaked me out too badly. I couldn't get caught.

I laid awake for hours more, the shadow of Poe's fingers tracing my skin remaining.

_____

"I can't believe you've been working for the Resistance for a full week." Rizee spoke in awe, shaking her head and gazing at Opi. 

The brunette's grin grew. "I know. It's crazy. Hey, do you guys want to hear what I heard?" 

"What?" I asked curiously, and Opi smiled wider. 

"Well --" She began, but was interrupted. 

"Are you bringing work back to the dorm this week?" ShanHa blurted calmly, her eyes trained on Opi. Opi reclined away from her, but nevertheless answered kindly. 

"I think next week it starts. In the third week. Right now I'm still training." Opi answered thoughtfully in her feminine, smooth voice. ShanHa didn't acknowledge that Opi had replied. 

I had returned back to the academy after a less-than-great night of sleep thanks to Poe. When I looked out my window in the morning, his jacket and shoes had disappeared. 

"Anyways," Rizee began, clearly irritated, "What were you saying, Opi?"

I rolled my eyes, letting Rizee know I was annoyed as well. Opi continued talking. 

"I heard there's going to be an academy-wide ball." Opi confessed. 

Rizee frowned. "What the hell is that?"

Opi laughed. "Like a dance! So a boy would ask you, or you ask a boy, and you go as dates . . . Who do you guys think you would ask?"

Poe, I instinctively thought, and then cringed. Of course I'm the kid who wants to ask their teacher-boyfriend to the school dance. 

"I'm not sure. What if we just went as friends, though?" Rizee suggested nonchalantly.

Opi laughed. "Yeah, we can, but we should get dates? Oh, what if I asked someone like Ganner? He's really cute." 

Rizee nearly flinched. "Yeah. Him."

"You could ask Raze! And Akai, Jax? Or something! That would be so fun." Opi marveled. I nodded with plenty of fake enthusiasm. 

"I could ask Raze. He's . . . Something." Rizee commented; just at that time, the three new members of our table group walked up. 

"What's up, guys? How were your nights at home?" Raze asked, leaning in to see all of us. 

"It was nice. Life here is fun, but it was nice to be home for a second. What about you?" I replied happily. A sensation of swagger ran through me because the Poe Dameron had sneaked into my room and touched my skin on my day off. 

"I have eleven sisters. I suppose you can imagine how my day off went." Jax commented, glaring at his food. I cringed. "Seriously?" 

The Claudite looked up at me and grimly nodded. 

"Do you guys all take on your true forms at home?" Ganner inquired curiously. 

Jax shrugged. "Some choose to. I don't." 

Ganner nodded with a small, true smile.

A sense of power had washed over me and sitting with my friends I realized I felt abnormally above all of the peers. Something about knowing that I had a secret relationship with Poe Dameron gave me a feeling of superiority, or daring, or swagger.