(9) Day 4. Suggestions

Why does everything have to be such a mess, I complained in my head, and I was surprised I was able to think such normal thoughts despite Locke's recent actions.

"I'm here. Let's get you back to your room." Poe muttered, giving me one last comforting glance into my eyes before beginning to walk off the patio, one arm tightly wound around my shoulders.

_____

"Please don't say I told you so." I sighed as Poe walked with me down the hallways back to my dorm.

Poe quietly laughed. "I wasn't going to, Akai. But honestly, now I will."

I rolled my eyes.

"You do need to focus on your school work. I was right back when we last talked. You have so much potential, and you shouldn't be putting it to waste on losers like him!" Poe pleaded.

"I am focusing on my school work. I understand everything so far and have done all of my assignments." I argued. We were close to my dorm.

Poe laughed harshly. "Then what were you doing out after curfew?"

Well, he's got me there, I though grimly, gritting my teeth.

"Okay, fine. Maybe I'm not as focused as a Jedi. But that doesn't mean I can't have friends!" I shot back simply for the sake of arguing. At that moment I was so heated and betrayed by Locke that I didn't think before words flew out of my mouth.

"I'm sorry, is what you call back there a friend?" Poe sarcastically ridiculed. His dark eyes blazed into mine, challenging me. I kept a firm glare.

Silence ensued because I had no clue what to say. Finally I calmed down and sighed.

"Well, how do I stay more focused in school? Is there anything I can do more?" I prayed hopefully. Now I felt remorseful and stupid.

How could I have believed a person as arrogant as Locke could ever amount to anything romantic? And what was I expecting to get out of that breaking-curfew arrangement, anyways? I should've known better than to take that big of a risk.

As we walked, I cringed at the idea of still having to see Locke during my class and at meals. I would avoid him as best as I could, I decided, but the thought of still having to see him anyways made my stomach perform flips. I was now scared of him. 

And I didn't want to even begin to think about the blinding white flash that had sent Locke careening across the room, either. I already had enough going on that I couldn't focus on something as supernatural as that. 

"There are things you can do to go beyond the academy's limit," Poe answered thoughtfully after a few minutes. He stopped walked and I slowed to a halt as well.

"What are they?" I asked timidly. I was ashamed that I had argued after Poe had  helped me out of that situation.

Thinking back on it, I had no clue what I'd done to initially throw Locke off of me. I didn't want to even begin to think about the blinding white flash that had sent Locke careening across the room, either. Just one second he was there and the next he was flying over a metal table across the room. I already had enough going on that I couldn't focus on something as supernatural as that.

Whatever had happened hadn't stopped Locke from charging towards me a second time. Poe and the threat of a blaster had stopped Locke's assault then.

"You can always get extra help. I could help you after dinner sometime if you want to come in and do some extra work." Poe suggested, looking down at me with his coffee-colored eyes.

I pondered on it. I don't have to worry about liking Locke anymore so now the only sexual tension in my life is one-way, and towards Poe. I guess it wouldn't hurt to do extra work, and maybe focusing on my school work more will distract me from my crush on him.