Chapter 13

She just stood there looking so innocent after what she said, and here I am with my mouth slightly open and blood rushing to my face. After a while, her expression changed.

“Oh no! I meant let’s just sleep together.” She tried to explain, but failed miserably. I responded by smirking at her.

“I mean just stay the night here since it’s getting late!” She screamed a little and looked away to hide her blushing face. “We don’t have classes tomorrow so it’s better if you just sleep here... if you’re okay with that.” She mumbled and continued to avoid my gaze.

I continued to stare at her, enjoying how flustered she looks. “I can lend you my clothes” She offered before I can even respond.

“But it won’t fit Chaeng.” I teased her.

“I have loose clothes unnie .” She glared at me before getting the clothes from her closet. I didn’t even agree to sleeping here but once she handed me her clothes, I just accepted it without complain. After giving me a change of clothes she also took her towel and handed it to me. “You know where the bathroom is, you can clean up and change there.”

I obediently followed her, and after a while I am already sitting in her bed wearing her clothes and avoiding eye contact with her. Just the thought of wearing her clothes, using her towel, and smelling like her makes me giddy. ‘This is stupid. I am stupid’

“What are you still doing there sitting unnie?” The midget speaks up from the corner of her bed. “Do you want me to tuck you in to bed?” She can finally tease me now after all the awkward conversation a while ago.

So I just lay down beside her and tried to fall asleep.

But sleeping seems impossible now that Chaeng is just inches away from me, sharing the same bed with me. My heart just keeps on thumping hard against my chest and it’s getting hard for me to breath.

“You also can’t sleep unnie?” I look to my left and saw the midget staring at me.

I immediately look away and continued to stare at the ceiling. “Yeah. And you? Why are you still up?”

“I don’t know also. How about you just tell me a story until we fall asleep?” The midget suggested.

“What do you want to hear?”

“I’m just really curious about you…. and…her? Your ex I mean.”

I turned my head towards her again without showing any emotions. I’m still hesitating honestly if I should open up about it. I don’t know if I’m ready.

“But you know it’s also okay if you wanna talk about something else.’ The midget whispered. This time she’s the one who avoided my gaze and decided to look at the ceiling. It’s obvious that she’s also hesitating to ask me more about it.

We both stared at the ceiling as if it’s the most interesting thing you can ever see. I still don’t know what came up to me but I suddenly had the courage to hold her hand, which she consented to. And after a while, I muttered under my breath.. “I still don’t know how to talk about her. How about you just ask me questions then?”

Silence filled the room after telling her my suggestion. I thought that she already fell asleep.

“Were you happy? With her?”

“Of course. I was happy with her. Everything was perfect until she ripped my heart out, stomped on it and broke it into million tiny pieces.” We both laugh on my answer because the bitterness inside me just came out pouring.

“Why did you even break up unnie?”

With a loud huff, I answered. “She didn’t want to be with me anymore. It’s as simple as that. She told me she would build her career in her hometown but after a month of breaking up with me, I saw her with someone else. Honestly, I don’t think she cheated on me, but I know she already fell for the other girl when we were still together.”

There was no response from the midget. I still continued to hold her hand. Playing with it. Rubbing it softly using my thumb. Running my fingers up and down the spaces between hers. Sometimes drawing little patterns on her palm.

“Then I think she’s not that bad of a person.” The dwarf beside me suddenly speak up.

This time, I was the one who wasn’t able to respond right away. I also stopped playing with her hand and moved mine away.

“Why did you stop?”

I looked at her confused. “Huh?”

She then lifted her hand up. “I like it when you hold my hand. I also like it when you play with it. It tickles.” She giggled a bit. “It soothes me unnie.”

I immediately held it again and laugh softly. I continued what I was doing earlier hoping that it would help her relax and eventually make her fall asleep.

“I think her decision of breaking up with you was also hard on her. I mean if she truly loved you, which I think she did, then I think she just made the right choice. If she stayed with you longer, she might’ve cheated on you eventually. That would’ve hurt you more. I honestly applaud her for having the balls, or whatever it is that she had, to be able to make that very brave decision.”

I’m simply amazed by how Chaeng thinks. It’s like she’s giving me a way of making a bitter part of my memory more bearable. I just found another reason to fall more deeply for her.

“I really hope you won’t get scared of falling in love again unnie.”

I just smiled at her last comment. I’m enjoying the feeling of being this open with someone. I’m also enjoying the way her hand fit into mine, and the tightness of her grip that maybe tells me that she wants us to be exactly where we are right now. ‘I’m delusional.’

I looked at her and noticed that her eyes were now closed. A peaceful face with cute little snores tells me she’s already deep into sleep. Without thinking about anything, I leaned forward and kissed her.

On her forehead.

“Goodnight, Chaeng.”