Chapter 3

The preparations for the activity took two months to complete. Those two months were filled with stressful meetings, long hours of practice, as well as tons of props making. However working with Chaeng was really fun and we indeed got closer. We would always meet for coffee after practice. There we would discuss our plans and accomplishments for the activity. But sometimes our conversations would drift somewhere else. We would talk about the latest gossips, other times we would just tease and play with each other, sometimes we would open up and talk about our personal lives. With those two months, I got to know Chaeng better.

*****

I was already running late when I arrived at the coffee shop. I was supposed to meet Chaeng ten minutes ago but I was held up because of a project that was due yesterday. I had to beg my professor to give me until tomorrow to submit my work and avoid getting a failing grade. When I opened the door, my eyes immediately scanned the place and landed on the small cub waiting at our usual place. We will be discussing the final preparations for the upcoming activity.

“Yah! Unnie your late!” She half shouted trying to look angry. But her smile that showed her dimples betrayed her and told me otherwise.

“I’m sorry Chaeng!” I placed both of my hands clasped together above my head and bowed to apologize to her. “I’ll just treat you this time okay?” I offered with my biggest gummy smile.

“I’m just messing with you Unnie. Haha. And you don’t have to treat me, I already paid for both of us anyways. The usual right?” We then both look at the two cups of coffee on the table.

I sat in front of her, stirred the coffee and took a sip. ‘Perfect! Just the way I wanted it’, I thought to myself. “So did you miss me? Hehe. And you already know my usual order! Aaaaawww.” I teased her.

In the course of two months I discovered that Chaeng is the type of person who doesn’t like cheesy, sweet things. But don’t get me wrong. She is a sweet girl, she just doesn’t show it the conventional way. She would make you think that she doesn’t care about you when she actually does. She doesn’t like people touching her, so hugging and holding her hand would be a No-No.

We were the exact opposite since I was a touchy-feely type of person, so even if she doesn’t like it, I would initiate skinship with her, and surprisingly she wouldn’t complain about it. I like to think myself as special that way, ‘cause I was kind of an exception. Because of that I grew a certain fondness of her. She is now my favourite dongsaeng, and I always tell her that.

These teasing and mocking is now normal to us. I can even see right through her. I can already predict her disgusted face as she try to deny that she missed me and dismiss the fact that knowing my usual order is kinda sweet.

She looked straight into my eyes, offered me her sweetest smile and told me softly…“Of course I miss you unnie, it’s been two days since we last saw each other. And I already memorised your order ‘cause your special to me.”

I wasn’t able to respond right away. I was shocked by her reaction, I never expected this. “Ooohh, Son Chaeyoung! Since when did you become like this huh?” I tried to tease back and sipped my coffee again trying to hide the fact that I’m blushing.

“Haha! I won Unnie didn’t I? I just tried imitating you. I was good, aren’t I?” She laughed while looking at my reaction.

I almost spilled my coffee when I tried to look angry. But I wasn’t able to resist her cuteness so we both ended up laughing.

“ So, how about we finish up our plans?” I got my planner out ready for our meeting. Chaeng did the same.

“Also unnie, I want you to meet someone after the event.” She said as she browsed though her planner.

“No, problem midget.” I teased again, and she just looked at me un-amused. “By the way, who are we meeting?”

“My boyfriend.”