She kept on rumbling, finding all the reasons for me to agree. And the pout on her face is not helping.

A simple “okay” was all I was able to say but the look on her face was so much more than my heart can handle so I looked away.

“You’re the best unnie!” She half squealed, which made me chuckle again.

‘I’d do anything for you.’ I thought. But I kept my mouth shut. I just continue walking, enjoying the way her hand tightly holds mine.
*****

After buying all the stuff she needed, we headed home immediately. I helped her carry some of the bags containing the materials required for her final project. Since it is an individual project, she also asked for my help. Without thinking twice I said yes, of course. She didn’t know how happy I am that she asked me. I have another excuse to see her more.

Just a few more blocks before we reach her apartment, I remembered something.

“Hey Chaeng, remember when you told me to get you a souvenir from Japan?”

Her eyes immediately widened, and her lips tugged upward. “You got me one??”

I simply nodded at her. “But I don’t have it with me right now. I left it in my roo—“

“I’ll just drop this off, then let’s go to your apartment!” the excitement in her voice was evident, she didn’t even let me finish what I’m saying. As soon as we arrived, she hurriedly got her things and drop it all inside her room.

When she returned outside, I noticed that she didn’t even change her clothes. She looked like a five year old waiting to open her birthday present. Seriously, this kid is just too cute.

The moment we stepped inside my apartment, she rushed her way towards Momo and Jung’s room to say hello. Meanwhile, I went into my room to retrieve her gift. I held it just on the palm of my hands. It was inside a red box with a gold ribbon wrapped around it.

I was just smiling looking at it. I felt silly. I got all my friends souvenirs but they were all keychains and snacks that I just bought near our house in Japan. But Chaeng’s was different. I spent a three hour commute just to get her this. And the whole time I was in Japan, I wasn’t even sure if I’ll be able to give this to her since we weren’t talking at the time.

My thoughts were cut off when I heard a knock on my door.
When I turn around, Chaeng was already in front of me looking at the box I held in my hands.

“Is this it?” She asked while smiling at me widely.

When I nodded, she snatched it away from me. She walked towards my bed and sat on it. I followed her and sat beside her. She carefully untangled the ribbon and when she opened the box, her mouth opened wide. However, she managed to suppress her squeal. I just kept on looking at her, capturing mental pictures of her. ‘The three hour commute was definitely worth it.'

“This is freaking cute unnie!.” She said while giggling and taking it out from the box. It was a figurine, a wood figurine carved into a cute small cub. It actually looks like her. She was examining every single detail of it until she turns it over and notice the writing below it.

It was written using Japanese characters so she wasn’t able to read it. “What does this say unnie?”

“It has a very special meaning.” I told her while approaching her closer. I traced the writings with my finger.

“What is it?” Her curiosity is killing her. So I whispered to her ear.

“It says...

...Chaeng is a midget cub.”

I looked at her and her face tells me that she’s disappointed. But I just started laughing.

“You just ruined the gift unnie!” She started whining.

“If you don’t want it anymore, I can have it back.”

She just placed the figurine closer to her, hugging it. “It’s still cute tho unnie so I’m keeping it. Besides, this came from Japan, I just won't look below it.” She stuck her tongue out after placing the gift back into its box.

After a while, she decided to go home and call it a night.

What she didn’t know is that the characters written below the cub figurine do have a special meaning. It read “Mina loves Chaeng”, but I don’t want her to know that. I’m a coward, yes. But it’s better this way. She will never return my feelings so I’ll just let things be. I’ll just love her this way, from afar, without her knowing.