Chapter 18

*Josh's POV* "It all really started a few days before my sixth birthday." Savannah says after a deep breath. "Can you um, Maybe come over here?" I interrupt before she gets to into whatever she's about to tell me, "I feel weird being so far away from each other, and I uh, well I can't come by you." She doesn't answer, just nods and stands up. She isn't connected to any IVs so she just walks over and sits on the very edge of my bed. "You don’t have to be afraid." I tell her, "You can touch my legs because I can't even feel it. And you can tell me anything, I really am all ears Savannah." I watch as she situates herself, sitting cross legged and kind of between my legs, getting much closer to me.  "Is it uh, okay if I uh.. if I massage your legs or something? I don't like talking about any of this so it'll help me stay concentrated.. and uh, I know you can't feel it but maybe it will help somehow." Savannah asks me. "Of course" I say and look her in the eyes so she knows she can go on with her story. "Okay.. well. Three days before my sixth birthday, I got sick. Really sick, like I couldn't get out of bed. My parents thought it was the flu so I stayed in bed for a week and finally went in to the doctor. I guess I don't remember much of the first two years I was in the hospital. I remember being in this room.. it was uh, light pink painted walls with this lamp that looked like a cloud. I didn't really get what was going on but I was sitting on my Dad's lap and the doctor was saying all these things and then both my parents started crying, and I did too. I was only 6 so I wasn't crying because of the cancer, I didn't even know what that was. I was just sad that my parents were sad. After that I never really left the hospital. I mean there was once in awhile where they were changing treatments or I had a few days off from chemo when I could go home for a night or do something fun like go to the beach or an amusement park. Anyway, from 6 to 11 I moved from hospital to hospital and then when I was 11 I moved to the mayo where I stayed until I was 14 and they told me that the cancer was gone. That was a miracle in itself, because I really wasn't expected to make it past my 8th or 9th birthday." At that point she looks down at my legs that I guess she's massaging. I don't feel it, but if it helps her that's all that matters. "I'm sorry.. you probably don't wanna hear about this, I can stop." she says, starting to get up to go back to bed. I grab her arm and settle her back into the bed. "Keep going, I want to know what made you who you are." I insist, and then wait for what's next to come. I'm finally getting Savannah to open up, and for some reason I feel like this is really going to change the course of my stay here. Getting her to tell me this, getting to really know her.. It's going to change my life.