Chapter 3

*Savannah's POV*  

You open your eyes slowly trying to adjust from a peaceful darkness to a harsh bright light shinning over your face. "Sav?" You hear someone say. You turn your face slowly to the side and see Henry jump up from a chair and he's at your side holding your hand before you even realize what he's doing. "Savannah Rose you scared me." He says in a soft voice. Rose is a kind of a family name. It's your grandmothers name, it was your Mom's middle name, and it's your middle name. Henry named your niece Rosalyn, but you all call her Rosie for short. "Henry what happened?" You ask him, seeing the bags under his eyes and how messy his hair is. "You uh, you've been completely sedated for a few days. I'll go get the doctor.." He says, "I'll be right back." He kisses the hand he was holding and sets it back by your side leaving the room. You look around the room you're in. White walls. White ceilings. A terribly uncomfortable looking chair next to the bed you're in. A slight curtain and then the mirror image of what is on the half of the room you're in. IV's and monitors beeping by your head. None other than a hospital room, almost identical to the one you spent your entire childhood in. This one however, has an empty bed on the other side. You mentally note how happy you are there's not someone in that bed. When you grew up, there was a girl in that bed, a girl named Rachel. A girl who was your best friend, your only friend really. Neither of you ever got to leave the hospital, so you had each other and that was it. After Rachel died, there was other people you shared a room with, but you were too scared to get close to someone again. And you couldn't stand the fact that if you got close to someone and then died, they would feel how you did about Rachel dying. A few tears slide down your face thinking of that, and what the doctor will come back and say. You don't know the diagnosis for sure... But they always told you "there's a chance it will return, but you're okay for right now." At. Every. Single. Checkup. You wipe the tears away and wait for Henry. You want to be strong for him. He's only 18, and he's had to go through so much. A few minutes later her walks back into the room and stands next to you, tears forming in his eyes but trying not to cry. "Dr. James will be here in a minute to explain everything." You give him a small smile and a few tears fall from his eyes. "Hey now, it's gonna be okay. I beat it once, I can do it again." you say to your little brother, scooting over to the left side of your bed and patting the open space. Henry lays down next to you and you both start crying. Obviously, the cancer is back. There's not much else it could be. It took your childhood, and now it's back to take away your adulthood. Possibly even take your life. "Savannah we already lost Mom and Dad. I can't loose you too." Henry says crying still. "Henry Thomas. You will never lose me." Just as Rose was a family name, so is Thomas. Thomas was your Dad's fathers name, your Dad's middle name, and Henry's middle name too. Dr. James came in a moment later to explain everything. The bad news: your childhood cancer was back, worse than before. So much worse chemo wasn't an option again. The good news: there's a new treatment that has shown great strides against this kind of cancer. More bad news: The new treatment takes a lot of time, so you'll be in the hospital for at least a couple months, and it will be very painful. Survival rate: 50/50. After a few more details, Dr. James leaves the room leaving you and Henry alone again. That night you fall asleep crying in his arms, knowing that the monster has returned.