Chapter 5

There was something comforting about knowing that you are entirely safe. My whole life as a werewolf, there was always a constant fear, knowing there was a possibility of being targeted as a part of my pack, knowing how frequent fights broke out in my world. It was terrifying, but it was all I knew. I didn't know there was an alternative. The human world was not perfect, but it seemed so easy, it was far simpler to be an individual in such a place. It was a world where my role was not determined by what pack I was in and who I was mated to. It was my choice, and there was something rather lovely about that. 

It was so much easier to enjoy life. To be sat on a sofa with a friend, watching some strange show on the tv that didn't make a lot of sense. Still, I laughed whenever Nick did, purely because it felt nice to laugh together, as though we had a connection. 

I had never thought that I would become friends with a human, our worlds were so separate. It was frowned on by the werewolf community to involve ourselves with them. But humans were not nearly as bad as I had thought. There was so much less drama. 

As usual, Nick did not question me about what had happened, what with me running off earlier. So I suppose, of all the humans that could have taken me in, I was lucky it was him. It would be otherwise difficult to hide  my real identity. 

I wasn't exactly lying to him, I had never specifically told him that I was human. And I was human. At least... a quarter human. 

"Following our earlier coverage, the large wolf seen in the north of the city has not yet been located. Locals are being warned to stay inside where possible, after reports of a wolf roaming our streets flooded in earlier this afternoon." I looked up at the tv in surprise, the image of the female news reporter disappeared, in its place were images of a large, dark haired wolf with icy blue eyes. "It is not yet known how the wolf got to the city, and police are urging any citizens with information to come forward."

I had never really seen myself in wolf form before. Sure, I'd seen my reflection in water and such, but it wasn't quite captured in the same way as a photograph. 

...Was I really that large?

Yes... I was. And that made it so much worse. This was clearly no ordinary wolf, it was massive. Hopefully the humans wouldn't notice but surrounding packs would catch wind of the news, and know there was a possible rogue living in the city. 

And the number one werewolf rule? Keep our secret from the humans. 

Those wolves could come looking for me. I was a potential threat, and they might come hunt me down. They couldn't do much to me, of course. But I didn't want to hurt them trying to protect myself.

Besides, what if someone from the pack recognised me? Casting my mind back... I don't think Liam had ever seen me in wolf form. Few of the wolves had. My old pack had though... 

I prayed that nobody would see. That I could keep my refuge here for a while longer...

"Sad, isn't it." Nick sighed besides me.

I looked at him with caution, would he make the connection? That a wolf was out in the city at the same time I happened to be gone? 

"Such a beautiful creature. If they find it they'll shoot it down for sure. Not like it did any harm, it looks terrified if anything." He continued when I didn't reply. I wonder what he would say if he knew the wolf was sat next to him.

Of course, I had forgotten that Nick must care for animals. He was training to be a vet, after all. And he did have his own dog. And he did mention to me that his favourite animal was the wolf. 

I was keen to change the conversation, so I took the remote from Nick and quickly flipped the channel over. "Um, what's the date today?" I asked, trying to organise a timeline in my head. The battle took place at the start of July...