Chapter Fourteen

"Master, are you alright?" Mikiel went round and round his master, mewing in concern. It has been eight hours since Cain disappeared. Elbe sat on the ground, unmoving. Her right hand was still clutching her chest tightly; as if she's suffering from some kind of pain but it didn't show on her face. At last, Mikiel gave up and trotted up the stairs, leaving her all alone.

When she noticed that her behaviour's getting abnormal, she got up and straightened her back. The garden was empty and the gates were open wide. They looked like they were welcoming someone. She wanted to look for him but was unsure of his whereabouts. The bright sun pierced her porcelain skin and she winced in pain. Without realizing it, she halted when a familiar smell entered her nostrils. It's the smell of the sea. She pursed her lips and tried to remember when was the last time she'd been to a beach.

A beautiful girl sat on the cliff, playing her harp. That part of the beach doesn't have much visitors. And so, she had claimed this spot to be hers. She glanced up and Elbe approached her. Her eyes lit up in recognition and she slid off the cliff to welcome her. "Hey, what brings you here?"

"Arya." Elbe whispered quietly as she took the seat on one huge boulder. It was covered in shells and dried seaweed but she still sat all the same. "Do you think...that maybe I was...being too heartless?"

Arya sat on the sand just right next to Elbe and shook her head. "What makes you think that? As far as I know, you're a good person."

"The process is terrifying to some mortals." This statement of Elbe's made Arya frown.

"Process of making what?" She inquired, tugging at her hair, absentmindedly.

"You know who I am, don't you? I'm sure Lisa would have told you." Elbe muttered.

Arya looked a little blank at first but she gradually began to understand where this conversation is heading and nodded, smiling a little. "Ah, it was a story that has been passed down to Lisa by Elizabeth. Fancy meeting you here. SO...do you...remember who Elizabeth is to you?"

"I'm sorry. I don't know who's Elizabeth."

"Eh?" Arya exclaimed, shaking her head in disapproval. She opened her mouth to speak again but was silenced by an unknown force. Elbe noticed that and let it pass because Elbe knew that it's something she mustn't know. "Ah, well, whatever. About the process, I'm not so sure but you've been helping countless people with your powers. It's not a bad thing. Look at how beautiful this town is! It's all due to your meddling." Arya spread her arms wide, proudly but Elbe hung her head in distress.

"He thinks that I'm doing something horrible. He saw the process and was terrified by it."

"A mortal, huh? Well, that means it's meant to be. The Fates wanted him to know. If so, then you should have explained everything to him!" Arya demanded, reaching out to lift Elbe's face. "Don't feel so dejected!"

"I don't know where he went. I've been searching for him for hours and ended up here."

"This is just a small town. I'm sure you'll eventually find him. But he's just a mortal. Why do you care about him that much?" Arya got up, dusting the sand from her feathers.

"No reason. I just felt that he's someone dear to me." Elbe whispered.

"Ah, so you love him!" Arya grinned cheekily at her while raising her eyebrows repeatedly.

"Love?" She asked with a confused tone. Once again, her hand went to her chest automatically. Arya observed all this and her suspicions were confirmed. Without another word, she plunged back into the sea.