Chapter Eleven

"Finally, Spring is here!" Mikiel shouted, scampering about in the garden in delight. His excitement is partly due to the butterflies flying about around the rose bushes. He really loves roses, I noted. Elbe led me to the gazebo slowly because I'm still weak and couldn't walk properly without support. I'd to cling onto her shoulders and take small steps at a time. I was afraid that she might get fed up with my pace but she's surprisingly patient.

The gazebo was painted white and the flowers were painted a variety of colours. The bench was white too. When we got there, there's a tea set on the stone table. I laughed and thanked her. I'd never thought that she would have heard my request for croissants. I was half-awake at that time so I didn't really mean it.

She placed me down slowly on the bench. Seems like she's stronger than I am. Doesn't that make me a weakling? "Here, sit down and enjoy your tea outdoors." She said, proceeding to sit so that she's facing me directly.

"Yeah, you too. You have sharp ears." I noted, smiling as I bit into the croissant sandwiches. The cheese seems to melt in my mouth! "Delicious! I've never eaten anything this delicious before. You're really a great cook!" I exclaimed as my taste buds burst.

"Why thank you. You said that you love ham and cheese croissants so I thought of making it specially for you. You need the nutrients in order to recover. I used the best cheese and ham that I could find. I also added plenty of vegetables into your sandwiches." She started promoting her sandwiches. I listened while trying not to laugh. She actually looks rather cute while she's explaining.

While I was so focused on her, a slight sound beside me made me jump, causing one of the tomatoes to slid out of the sandwich I'm currently holding. Mikiel snatched a salmon out from a sandwich made specially for him and began chomping on it while speaking to me. "You're thinking about something perverted. Am I right?" He glanced at me sideways and I could have sworn he had a lopsided grin on his mouth. Why, if he's a human, I'm sure I could put it that way but sadly, he's a cat and a mischievous one at that too. Elbe just stared at us fighting over something petty with glittering eyes. If she's not expressionless, I'm sure she'll be smiling and laughing now. I could tell that she seems to have fun watching us argue in a friendly way.

"Come on, knock it off!" I protested, dropping my tomatoes the second time. "I'm trying to eat here!"

Mikiel quietly redrew with a mischievous look in his green eyes. He returned to his usual demeanor, that is, catching rare butterflies for his collections. Funny, all the butterflies here are unique. By unique, I mean the patterns on their wings and their sizes. As far as I know, doesn't all butterflies have the same size?

"No, the butterflies here are all unique." Elbe whispered, sipping her tea silently. I swallowed hard and stared at her.

"Are you psychic?" I asked. I mean, how did she know what was I thinking right now? She shook her head and flicked her fingers, instructing me to eat more. I nodded obediently and took another sandwich from the plate while waiting for her answer.

"I'm not psychic at all. I just guessed from your expression and direction of your gaze." She murmured. She didn't touch the sandwiches at all. The person who ate most of them was me. I laid back, pressing my hands on my stomach.

"Damn! I'm so full." I groaned. "You shouldn't have made me eat to much!"

"There's still dessert." She said quietly. It's probably because she didn't want me to hear but too bad, I've already heard it. I shrugged, getting up slowly. My wounds have not healed yet. Some cuts on my legs and arms have healed. The major ones on my stomach, chest and back haven't. Elbe immediately got up from her seat to steady me.