Chapter Four

I can't believe it's snowing right now. I tried to suppress a shiver as I glanced at the sky. Tiny and delicate snowflakes began to fall. Florine gasped and held her hands out to catch the snowflakes. "It's beautiful! I've never seen anything like this before."

Herminia snickered. "Even after staying in this town for such a long time? Come on! Seriously, you grew up here. How many seasons have passed?"

"I'm just saying." Florine protested. I noticed that Herminia loved teasing her friend. It's as though they were real siblings since they bickered with each other most of the time. Carrie had already left. That means it's only the three of us now. I glanced at my phone and saw that it's only six. We've already done our shopping. Florine and Herminia are waiting for their parents to come pick them up. I decided to spend some time in a coffee shop later after the two of them had left before returning home.

"It's going to be cold." I said, rubbing my hands together to create some warmth. "I didn't expect it to snow. I didn't bring my jacket." I bit my lip to stop my teeth from clattering.

Florine looked at me with pity in her eyes. "Aw, but someone will come get you later right? It's going to be okay."

"Actually I'm walking home but the journey home is going to suck."

"Then I suggest you leave now in case the snow becomes heavy." Herminia said, glancing sideways at me. I nodded and waved them goodbye. I quickly ran to the nearest station and exhaled when I managed to grab the steel bar at the bus entrance and hauled myself into it. Someone bumped onto me in the process. I turned to see who is it and frowned when I noticed that it's a girl from my class. I couldn't remember her name though.

The girl gasped and adjusted her spectacles. "I'm sorry, Maria. I really am!"

I rolled my eyes and ignored her. I thought she would dismiss it and give up but she came closer to me and tapped my shoulder with her fat hands. I quickly brushed her hand away and glanced angrily at her. "Don't touch me with your filthy hands!" I growled.

"Are you mad because I bumped into you? I said I'm sorry. Please don't look at me like that." She said in her meek voice.

"Whatever. Leave me alone." I grumbled, turning away to glance out of the window. I gripped the handle tightly as the bus jerked forwards violently very few seconds. I wonder if that driver really knows how to drive a bus.

"You sound angry."

"Oh come on, I hate talking to ugly girls who's not even in my league. Back off, girl."

"You can't even remember my name." She muttered, sounding forlorn.

"I don't have the liberty to remember the names of lowly people. I'm beautiful. You're ugly. Beautiful people shouldn't talk to ugly people."

The girl hung her head sadly and muttered an apology before turning away. I smirked, happy that she finally left me alone.

I got off the bus, feeling a little irritated. The journey back took about forty minutes due to the heavy traffic. The lawn was almost entirely covered in snow. Dad was outside, busy covering his car with a huge cloth. "Don't want the snow directly on my car." He said as I entered the gate.

"Then why don't you put it in the garage?" I asked, rolling my eyes. I pushed the door open and took off my stilettos.

"Mum's car is inside. The garage only fits one, sadly."

I made no reply. I threw my handbag on the couch and went to my room to retrieve my jacket. I put it on and reapply my makeup. It's almost seven, I noted when I glanced at the clock. Why is Brian not here yet? Maybe he got stuck in the jam too? I shook my head to refrain myself from thinking negatively. I went down to the living room and flung myself onto the couch, shutting my eyes for awhile.

"Taken your dinner yet?"

I opened an eye and caught sight of mum bending over the back of the couch, glancing at me with that sweet smile of hers. I nodded and rummaged the bag for the change. "The change for today's dinner." I pushed a handful of notes into her hand. She glanced at it with a frown, realizing a little too late that it's not her money but dad's.

"Hey, sweetheart! There's a boy coming to take you out for a movie." Dad shouted from outside. I cursed dad for being so loud. Now everyone in the neighborhood will know. Stupid dad and his mouth. I grabbed my handbag and told mum that I'll be back late.

"Sweetie?" Mum called out. I quickly put on my stilettos, ignoring her and raced out of the house with a pounding heart. Why am I feeling so nervous at the sight of him?

Brian grinned when he saw me. His hand was firmly on the steering wheel while another was reaching out to open the door for me. I smiled and slipped into the car, shutting the door firmly. The car looked really expensive and new. I wonder whose is this. "Yo!" He greeted me, as he turned to face the road. He pressed the oil and the car jerked forwards. I quickly pulled the seat belt over me and pulled my hair over my shoulders.

"Hey." I replied shortly. "You're right on time." I remarked, glancing at the digital clock in my phone. He laughed.

"Of course I would. I don't want to make a beautiful girl wait. Are you hungry? Have you taken your dinner?"

"Oh I've just eaten, thanks. How about you?"

"Done too." He rummaged in his pockets and pulled out two crumpled tickets. He placed it on my lap and I picked them up with curiosity. I gasped when I noticed that it's the show I've always wanted to watch. I glanced at him with amazement.

"Wow, it's the show I've always wanted to watch. You're amazing!" I gasped in happiness which made him smile.

"Yeah, I rock right?" He stopped when the traffic lights turn red. "So, Maria. What would you like to do after the movie?"

I shrugged, unable to find an answer. "Anything. It's Sunday tomorrow, after all. I don't mind spending the entire night with you." I said it without thinking. I bit my tongue when I realized that I've said something wrong. His eyes widen and for a split moment, I could see a mischievous look in his twinkling eyes.

"That means you don't mind spending the night with me?" He asked in a playful tone. I swatted his arm and shook my head.

"I didn't mean it that way! I'm just saying I don't mind going anywhere with you. Not that, of course." I corrected my mistake and felt more relieved when the mischievous look in his eyes vanished. He grew serious again.

"Then why don't we go ice skating after the movie? I've not been to ice skating in years!"

"Sounds fun. Alright, as you wish!" I laughed. He pulled into a parking lot and turned off the engine. I didn't realize that we're already in the basement of the shopping mall.

"I didn't realize that we're here already."

"How's my driving? Pretty fast, eh?" He gave me a cocky smile. I rolled my eyes and only replied him with a smile.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

In the cinema, I took the seat by the wall. There are many people in the cinema. Looks like this show is really popular since the cinema's still full even after the movie's had been released for almost two weeks already. Brian handed me the box of popcorn and raised his eyebrows. "Your favourite, I presume?"

I nodded, accepting it gratefully. The movie was so captivating, I forgot about Brian entirely. While it's almost at the climax, I felt a warm hand on my arm. I turned and noticed that Brian's face was really close to mine. My heart began to pound wildly.

"Why, you ignored me all the time! It's as if I don't exist anymore." He said with a hint of sadness but his expression didn't show any hint of him being sad. I laughed sheepishly and lowered my lashes.

"The movie's exciting. Sorry if I hurt you. But don't you find it interesting too?"

"Well, I'm more interested in you." With that, he leaned closer and pressed his lips onto mine. At that moment, it's the movie's turn to lose its existence.