weary

Maine pulled the door closed behind her and nodded to Rogelio who was standing nearby. Rogelio positioned himself at the door.  As Maine moved away, the group followed her.  She stopped at the visitor's lounge, far away from the door, and turned to the crowd.

"...call me a bitch, suplada, madamot, nag-t-tantrums, whatever you want....but please, Alden is sick....pagpahingahin po natin para gumaling sya agad....diba yun naman ang gusto natin lahat? Na mapasaya kayo at maka-trabaho kami ng maayos?....so please.....thank you sa pagdalaw....sasabihin ko sa kanya na dumalaw kayo...." she smiled a weary smile and walked away.

Some in the crowd bowed their heads as Maine spoke and smiled at her, putting their phones away as quickly as they snatched them up with hopes for a chance photo or video. But seeing her sad, worried expression made them think twice.

A few others still took photos and shrugged their shoulders, feeling defeated for not being able to accomplish their mission of seeing the patient; probably plotting a way how.

Maine was also feeling a bit under the weather herself. Long, tiring nights have taken a toll on her body, pulling down her immune system and giving her a slight fever. Her monthly dino attack also came. "What better timing!" Maine could only sigh in despair.  She walked quietly to the hospital's chapel to pray.  She was tired, too, but needed to be strong for her Rj.

After their last commitment the previous night, Rj already felt and looked sick. But, being the bull-headed workaholic that he was, he still went to work the following morning.  By midday day, with a hacking cough and rising temperature, his team and family forced him to go to the hospital.  He was reluctant but because he was really feeling weak and unwell, he gave in. Maine received news from him later that day via text.

"How are you feeling now? I'll be there after work..."

"Groggy. Please come."

"Yes. I'll be there soon. Rest , Tans."

He wanted to tell her that he was scared. He felt helpless and alone.  He hated the hospital.  He had been traumatized by his mother's death.  The doctors told him that he had to have a tonsillectomy.  He had been prone to respiratory infections all his life.  His now swollen tonsils made things worse. Surgery was the only option he had to help him be less prone to illness. He was internally freaking out when he heard about it as the doctors spoke to his dad.

"....yes sir, tomorrow morning....we'll manage his fever first then do the surgery...."

"Don't worry, it's a quick procedure....you'll be back in your room in no time....." the doctor turned to address Rj who obviously looked stressed at what he was hearing. If not for his sore throat and feebleness due to body aches and fever, he would have complained.

"Doc....pwede bang mag-request ng 'no visitors allowed'?" Richard, Rj's dad, asked.

"Oo naman, sir....I was also going to recommend bed rest for about 2 to 3 days....given the nature of his work, he needs to rest din po...."

"Yes please, doc....salamat...."

When the doctor left and Rj was finally settled in his room, he called for his dad.

"....natatakot po ako....si Maine...." Rj tried to speak but his throat hurt so he just typed on his phone.

"....wag kang mag-alala....andito kami.....bukas nalang ng umaga, i-t-text ko agad sya....."

Rj nodded and closed his eyes.  Soon, the medication he was given to lower his temperature was kicking in and he fell asleep.