conversations of the heart

She saw him sitting in the shade on the picnic blanket, staring into the vast ocean. She slowly approached, her long summer dress swaying in the summer breeze. He smiled at her as she sat. She cuddled and leaned against his chest. He rested his chin on her shoulder. He took her hand and played with her fingers; he brought them up to his lips and gently pressed his lips against her soft skin. He rested his face on her palm. She gently tapped his face in sync with a soft, imagined rhythm. A gentle smile appeared across her face. He closed his eyes as he embraced her tightly. He buried his face against her neck and inhaled her comforting scent. She gently turned and kissed his head.

Slowly, he lay down and she adjusted. She lay on his shoulder as his arm wrapped around her. She turned slightly so that her arm rested across his torso. He gently rubbed her arm as she tapped his chest. He looked up at the sky and watched the clouds drift by until his eyes just closed; his breathing slow and steady.

They napped quiely as the cool breeze blew through the trees; the rustling leaves and the gentle crashing of the waves sending mesmerizing vibes.

Many minutes later, they both woke up refreshed. She looked up at him and smiled as she observed his gentle features as he opened his eyes. He smiled at her then nodded. She adjusted once again and kissed him on the lips -- a soft gentle kiss. He lifted his head and kissed her once more -- a little more passionate this time as one hand rubbed her back while the other cradled her head.

She lay back down on his shoulder. He buried his face on her head, kissing her gently.

She tapped his chest gently and stood up. He looked at her, smiled, and got up, too. He took her hand and their fingers intertwined. They walked hand in hand as the sun set in the distance.