Chapter 6: Alone Again.

I realised that the dogs and hyenas had drawn their eyes to mine, I glared at the unforgiving eyes when I then realised that they were killers. I am a cub. First thing that came to my mind, run. I backed up slowly, turning from the now barking and cackling canines, I ran, faster and faster, not knowing where I was--or where I was going to be correct, I still ran. There was a small acacia tree up ahead, I could hear them all running behind me. The tree was not to small, nor to hard to climb. As I came closer to the tree I leapt into the air, landing on the trunk of the tree, I clawed and clambered my way up the little tree and sat on the highest, sturdiest branch. I looked below myself, where the hyenas and wild dogs gathered, gazing up at me. I huffed and "meowed" in laughter as they jumped effortlessly to try and get me. We all kind of didn't know what to do then. We all just sat comfortably, them on the soft grass below, and myself on a mossy branch.

Suddenly a loud roar broke the silence, excitement rushed through my veins as thoughts then whizzed around my head. I saw a dark figure moving in the tall dry grass. I had two decisions, call to the mysterious figure or stay quite. I was about to open my mouth when down below I saw the figure that had been in the grass, it had its jaws locked onto one of the wild dogs, then I heard another roar, I glanced to my left where another figure had appeared. They were leopards. I hid in the acacia branches, full with colourful lime leaves, careful not to make my presence known. As the two cats wiped out most of the dogs, they caught hold of the leader of the hyena pack, making the small group cackle and run riot. I saw a wild dog sneaking away as the two leopards wiped out his pack, his tail in between his legs, a sign of submission. I squinted my eyes and looked hard, trying to see where the dog was going, I saw her emerging from a large bush.

Pups!

She carried a small, fragile pup in her mouth, gently but firmly she held it, careful not to wake it and at the same time not to drop it. I watched carefully as she ran to my right and disappeared for a few minutes. I returned my gaze back to the leopards, they had held of the last hyena, bodies of wild dogs and hyenas littered the ground, one final snap of its neck and the struggling body went limp. The first leopard roared loudly as she clawed at the second one angrily, the second one backed up, only to leap foreword with its teeth baring as it swiped the first one with its sharp dagger like claws. The first one then quickly let out a low growl and turned, walking into the dense bush. I could see it hiding, only its eyes were visible as the second one picked up a large hyena and left the scene. I was gazed as the first leopard walked out of the bush, sharp twigs were sticking out , scratching her sides and leaving small streams of blood on its now stained sides.

She growled lowly and five small figures crept out of the tall grass. To my astonishment, they were cubs! Oooo!!! New friends! I noticed a small female cub with half a tail, I knew I would remember her for the rest of my life...I dont know how but I will..i went to jump down but then I immediately thought...I remembered that leopards are very protective of their cubs. Very protective.