The sad little swing

Phil walked to the park, which was located a couple of streets away from his house. He was wearing a pastel yellow sweater with the word 'sunshine' stitched into it.
It had been dans birthday present to him.
They had now known each other for around a few months. They were still inseparable.

Phil walked swiftly, knowing he should have left earlier.

The sky was grey again. A beautiful colour. Dans favourite colour.

When Phil arrived at the park he noticed dan sitting on a swing. The sad little swing set stood in its place, did its job.
Dan had his head down low, he was tracing his hand with his fingers. Condensation twirling around his mouth every time he exhaled.
It was freezing cold. The snow laced onto the ground like rain, only slower and more delicate.

"Hi dan" Phil said, silencing the quietness.
"Oh hello" dan smiled, pleased to see Phil after a couple of days, though he was upset it had to be over something as sadistic as cancer.

"Phil I went to the doctors-"
"How'd It go?!"Phil interrupted.
"I have cancer Phil" dan burst into tears, falling off the swing in the process. He grabbed st the bark on the cold ground. His emotions returning to him at once. He thought it would be easy to tell Phil but it was the complete opposite.

Was this how it felt? Phil asked himself.
Is this how it feels to be heartbroken?
Phil was speechless. Agonisingly slow tears forming in his eyes.
Phil wanted to scream. He wanted to break down. He wanted to yell at god. He wanted something to blame.

"Phil I'm so sorry" dan yelped, obvious distraught in his voice.

Suddenly the sky turned a different grey. Well, not in a pretty way. Not this time. Nothing was beautiful because everything was crumbling around the two boys.