Life with Fred Weasley Chapter 3

Sirius transformed into Padfoot and laid right on Harry's lap, allowing Harry to run his fingers through the fur. Reminding himself that Sirius was alive and all right...they wouldn't let this happen this time.

"I'm not going… I don't need the hospital wing… I don't want."

He was gibbering as he tried to pull away from Professor Tofty, who was looking at Harry with much concern after helping him out into the Entrance Hall with the students all around them staring.

"I'm - I'm fine, sir," Harry stammered, wiping the sweat from his face. "Really… I just fell asleep… had a nightmare…"

"Pressure of examinations!" said the old wizard sympathetically, patting Harry shakily on the shoulder. "It happens, young man, it happens! Now, a cooling drink of water, and perhaps you will be ready to return to the Great Hall? The examination is nearly over, but you may be able to round off your last answer nicely?"

Fred shook his head, "After that your mind is done...you won't be able to work anymore."

"Yes," said Harry wildly. "I mean… no… I've done - done as much as I can, I think…"

"Very well, very well," said the old wizard gently. "I shall go and collect your examination paper and I suggest that you go and have a nice lie down."

"I'll do that," said Harry, nodding vigorously. "Thanks very much."

The second that the old man's heels disappeared over the threshold into the Great Hall, Harry ran up the marble staircase, hurtled along the corridors so fast the portraits he passed muttered reproaches, up more flights of stairs, and finally burst like a hurricane through the double doors of the hospital wing, causing Madam Pomfrey - who had been spooning some bright blue liquid into Montague's open mouth - to shriek in alarm.

Hermione glanced at Harry, "What in Merlin's name are you doing?" Harry had no response his normally bright green eyes were dull, scaring those who loved him.

"Potter, what do you think you're doing?"

"I need to see Professor McGonagall," gasped Harry, the breath tearing his lungs. "Now… it's urgent!"

"She's not here, Potter," said Madam Pomfrey sadly. "She was transferred to St. Mungo's this morning.

Harry didn't seem affected...he couldn't handle it anymore. Everyone was beginning to worry about him, even Snape who had begun to care about the boys well-being.

Four Stunning Spells straight to the chest at her age? It's a wonder they didn't kill her."

That was the final blow. The tears began streaming down his face as if a dam had broken. "This can't happen!" He exclaimed. "People I care about just seem to get hurt! First Mum and Dad, then Ginny, Cedric, and now Sirius and Mum! Who else?!"

Little did Harry know that it was going to get worse...with only slight happiness peeking in.

"She's… gone?" said Harry, shocked. The woman he had seen as a mother was no longer in the castle. The only thing keeping him standing upright was the fact that he needed to make sure Sirius was alright.

The bell rang just outside the dormitory and he heard the usual distant rumbling of students starting to flood out into the corridors above and below him. He remained quite still, looking at Madam Pomfrey. Terror was rising inside him.

There was nobody left to tell. Dumbledore had gone, Hagrid had gone, but he had always expected Professor McGonagall to be there, irascible and inflexible, perhaps, but always dependably, solidly present…