“Alright, sit down and I’ll strap you in,” he said. I did as told and sat criss-cross-apple-sauce in the spot closest to the window.

“Awh that’s cute,” he smiled. “You’re sitting cross-legged.”

“Is that the technical term for it?” I asked.

“Yeah, you didn’t know that?” he squatted next to me to strap me in.

“No, I didn’t,” I said. “I always thought it was criss-cross-apple-sauce.”

Ray strapped me to the truck semi-tight.

“We’re good to go now,” he stood up and climbed out. He and Mikey got into the front and Ray started it up. Mikey opened the little window.

“Hold on to something, Brendon!” he said, smiling widely. The truck started moving, very fast, if I might add. I took this as a chance to have a Perks of Being a Wallflower moment, so I unstrapped myself and stood up, spreading my arms out.

And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.

“Whooooooooo!” I cheered and smiled, the wind in my face and blowing my hair back. We hit a bump and I fell.

“Brendon!” Mikey called.

“I’m good!” I gave a thumbs up.

“Are you sure?” Ray called.

“I am okie-dokey!” I gave another thumbs up and sat up.

“Alright! We’ll be there in about ten minutes!” Ray said.

“Cool!” I reached my hand into the window and started petting his fro. “Wow your hair is so soft!”

“Thank you,” he said. “Almond extract!”

“Ooh! Exotic!” I said. “Mikey?” I reached my hand over and started feeling Mikey’s face. He grabbed my hand and pulled it away from his face.

“Don’t smudge my glasses!” he said, pushing my hand out the window.

“Sorry!” I laid back down and stayed like that until we got to Mikey’s house.

The car came to a stop and turned off.

“Alright Brendon, we’re here!” Mikey said, getting out of the car. He leaned over the side and looked at me. “Are you alright?”

I sat up and looked at him. “Yeah, I’m fine.” I stood up. “I’m actually perfect. That was amazing.” I stepped closer to the edge. “I just need some help getting down.”

Mikey helped me down and he led me to his house. Ray joined us as we walked up the driveway.

“I see Gerard and Frank are already here,” Ray said, pointing to a smaller black car.

“That is a nice car,” I said in awe of Gerard’s hot rod. Ray was staring at me, so I corrected myself. “...But not as nice as yours, Ray.”

He smiled tightly at me and walked into the house. Mikey walked in front of Ray to unlock the door. Once the door was unlocked and opened, we walked into what I assumed was the living room, which was also filled with a bunch of women.

“Hey Ma,” Mikey side-hugged what I assumed was his mother.

“Brendon?” I heard a familiar voice call.

I turned to see who had said my name.

“Mom?” I asked. I walked over and hugged Mom. “What are you doing here?”

“Book Club,” she answered simply.

“Ok,” I said. “Then I’m really glad I didn’t go home. I would’ve been alone.”